Best option for Lanai Cathedral trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few years back I went with Lahaina Divers to the cathedrals and also did 2 dives with Shaka. I originally booked with a different boat, but they ended up cancelling, so I scrambled to get on the Lahina boat. Since I brought a computer with me they were very relaxed. Just make sure you are one of the 1st ones in the cathedral before the herd goes in.

The 2 dives with Shaka were great. I was supposed to tag along with another group he had. But they all cancelled and it was just the two of us. We dove 2 different sites in a morning.

I went to 2nd Cathedrals with Extended Horizons in 2008 and I had a wonderful time. I was the least experienced diver on the boat so I was low on air first out of our group (maybe 7 w/our DM). My buddy watched me get to the aft float and he stayed with the group. That let me get to the wonderful fresh fruit spread waiting for us on the boat.
The capt&crew clearly love what they do and I would definitely dive with them again if I find myself on Maui again.
Have an awesome trip!!

We dive with Lahaina Divers to Lanai for the exact reasons that BSOD states. After having done the crossing once on a 32' aluminum boat, it isn't an experience I plan to repeat, so we stick to those big, comfortable 46' Newtons now. Since we're experienced divers, we're always in their first group, thus last back on the boat....usually in 50-55 minutes. The boats are also so well laid out that even with a full group of 23 divers, we've never felt crowded.

They also send divers back to the boat as they get low on air, so if you're good on air like we are, you can stay down longer. You are somewhat limited by the shorter surface interval of about 45 minutes, so we don't find ourselves limited by the AL72 tanks that they use.

All of the Lanai operators have to be very mindful of the time since the crossing back to Maui can be dangerous when the trades kick up the surface. We were on an LD boat many years ago when the EH boat got stranded at Lanai because the conditions got really bad. We wound up taking all of the EH divers back to Maui, leaving the EH crew with their boat to cross later.

We went with Lahaina Divers to the cathedrals, and had a fantastic trip. No crowding, no feeling of being rushed, good food, and a very safe operation

257 Lahaina Divers small.jpg

And lets not forget a couple of great days with Doug and the Scuba Bus. :D

Scuba Bus small.jpg

I did the dive with Lahaina divers and it was "GREAT". Great boat and people, had a great time.

If you like to be very detailed in the briefing and the marine life EH is the best bet. Personally I don't care for the 20 minute briefing while you have your wet suit on. We also had to wait an extra 45 minutes for a late couple. One thing you can rely on is that someone will be late. B&B boat leaves promptly from the south side to Molokini. I appreciate that because we should not have to wait for someone. If I took the time to be on time then why should I be penalized? If you are prone to sea sickness LD is the best bet for the channel crossing. It can be rough. My wife perferred their boat. The groups are slow diving but at least you are not all going to get in line for 10 minutes to see a nudi the dive master insist on pointing out to everyone.

i have to agree with greg....i went with LD last month.....I DO NOT get seasick...but it got a bit rough after the 1st dive. there were 5 divers who could not dive the 2nd dive due to seasickness. i even felt a little queasy after the 2nd dive. i could not have dealt with a smaller boat. As far as the bottom time, the divers who were good on air (not me) were in the water for quite a while. i don't think anyone on the boat felt that they had to quit early.
that being said, i have heard good things about EH but my choice would still be Lahaina divers.
as far as shore diving goes, you can't go wrong with Shaka Doug...5 caves/5 graves was AWESOME! he showed us more in the 1st dive than we would have seen diving 10 times on our own. next year we will be going out with him again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom