Best Option for a $700-$800 (approx.) Dive Computer? (Suunto, Oceanic, Aeris...)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DitrasetMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey folks,

I am sure you saw from my previous post that I was trying to determine if I should buy a Suunto Zoop (for $333) or a Suunto Cobra (with analog compass) (for $563). Now I am wondering, since I am so close to the $700/$800 price range, perhaps I should look at other dive computers.

I am a recreational diver, and I will be using this computer for reef dives off the coast of Florida (and the Florida keys) in 30 ft to 110 ft dives. I need a reliable computer that is tried and tested.

Now that I am in this price range, obviously I am interested in AI. However, I am not dead set on getting a console or a wrist. I am also not dead set on getting a hose-connection or wireless.

I must say that the wireless wrist watches seem nice.

Should I be looking at computers like the Oceanic ATOM, OCS, or VT3/VT4 or Aeris Epic or Elite (or others in this price range)?

Wireless AI, the VT4 is nice, but too small for my eyes. So I use the Oceanic ProPlus 2.1 AI console with compass. It does everything I need and is easy to read. If you watch the online stores you can get them on sale for less than $500 (we did.)

You've really not provided enough parameters for folks to advise other than tell you what they use/like.

Wireless AI, the VT4 is nice, but too small for my eyes. So I use the Oceanic ProPlus 2.1 AI console with compass. It does everything I need and is easy to read. If you watch the online stores you can get them on sale for less than $500 (we did.)

You've really not provided enough parameters for folks to advise other than tell you what they use/like.

What other types of parameters should I give you? I am new to scuba, so I am unsure exactly how I will use it. I just know that I do not want to buy a computer, and then replace it with a better one within a year - I would rather skip that step.

The hollis DG02 is an air/Nitrox/gauge mode computer, wrist mount for $249. There are several computers similar to this, it will take you all the way to tech. Lots of bang for the buck......and I'm a suunto fan.....

Shoot, if you are willing to go that high, buy a Liquivision Kaon or Xeo! The OLED display is fabulous, the tap interface is very intuitive, and you can download the dives. No transmitter yet, but they are working on it.

shearwater just released a new wrist mount. its also not AI, but you already have that info via spg. also, it should be able to handle any dive you could ever throw at it. also just a tad higher than your stated range, but def fits the buy once, cry once bill.

Any other suggestes (particularly watch, wireless, AI) in my price range, or any thoughts on the computers I identified above?

Any other suggestes (particularly watch, wireless, AI) in my price range, or any thoughts on the computers I identified above?

I ordered two VT3s from Leisure pro for 650 and they sent me two VT4.1s with transmitters - legit. That's an $1100 wireless setup. Dove with them this weekend. Won't ever need another computer. If you load the display with all it can display on its main dive page, its too hard to read. So let it default, and you get the optional info on a second and third screen that you advance to by one button push. IMHO the digital compass is sh*t - I'd rather have an analog display, but that's just me. Probably have to just get used to it. Everything else on it is a no-brainer. More power on my wrist than my old 486 desktop!

Not sure how much help I can be (newb myself), but just bought an Atom 3 w/ transmitter (and comes with USB cable) for $599 (actually got 4 for all in the family). I was looking for a wristmount with a smaller face (small wrists/kids). I haven't been in the water with it, but played with it last night -- looks to do everything I will need it to do for a long time to come. The manual is absolute crap (it's written in computer short hand and the whole think has like 10 full sentences -- there are far too many * >> () -- looks like my 14 year old texting). Once I started playing around with it a bit, it seems fairly straightforward, though.

I considered the package for the VT3 as well (it's advertised as complete package) -- but it's too big a wrist unit for me.

Shearwater just luanched the Petrel for $950. Its the same as the Predator thus full OC Trimix & CC fixed PO2 unit. In short its kick ass technical decompression computer. Its a lot smaller with same large display and a lot ligther. The Shearwater users will already know the user friendly interface and it looks great.

Back
Top Bottom