Best military units of all time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the best you just have to go with the Spartans for the worst you have a long list of choices but I'd have to give that honor to the US General staff in Vietnam.

Cherry

Oh dont forget the poor SOB'swho manned the Convoys to Murmansk in WW2. As an old destroyerman it chills my heart to think of what they went through.

DivePartner1,

"I still think this sounds like Hannibal."

Hannibal was his first name. His father started to "consolidate the hold on Spain," he completed the task then invaded Italy.

"The Army of Northern Virginia won a war of attrition with overwhelming resources and numbers against a smaller, starving force, even if it was better led."

You are confusing the Army of Northern Virginia with the Army of the Potomac. The Army of Northern Virginia was far superior, but lost the war.

Tim Ingersoll,

"What helped make the Army of Northern Virginia so good was that the Army of the Potomac was so badly led."

That case can be made, but perhaps it was also that Lee was able to read the commanders of the Army of the Potomac.

Walter once bubbled...
DivePartner1,

"You are confusing the Army of Northern Virginia with the Army of the Potomac. The Army of Northern Virginia was far superior, but lost the war.

You are completely right and I have this backwards. Northern Virginia looks so much like the north these days that it doen't count as southern now, but it sure did then! Hannibal was also superior, and also lost the war.

Keeping the Amercian aircraft in the Phillipines in tight clumps after December 7 to defend against sabatoge instead of the air threat.

the mostly Norman French army that
captured Jerusalem in the First Crusade
in 1099. They crossed Europe with few
roads, no maps, women and kids then
crossed mountains and deserts under
attack the whole way by the "Turks".

They still had enough energy left to
kill every man woman and child in
Jerusalem and go to church too!

Lawman once bubbled...
The German advance into Russia when it was
obvious winter was on them.

Germans weren't the first ones to do this. Napoleon made the exact same mistake and paid for it dearly, just as the Germans did in WWII.

-Roman.

Along with the Japanese unit in SE Asia that decided to hide out in a swamp overnight....

a crocodile infested swamp.

The screaming lasted throughout the night.

Only a handful of survivors stumbled out the next day.

I've only read one account of this story. Does anyone have further details?

on some Discovery Channel special or similar.

WW

Back
Top Bottom