Best military units of all time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

often times in the midst of patriotic propaganda the general puiblic is misinformed as to the effectivenessof certain actions

if the allies had not invaded europe the germans would still have been forced to keep units stationed to protect their western front. Stalin sacrificed 26 million people to defeat the germans. If Stalin could have seized all Europe with an additional 5 million deaths he would have considered it a bargain.

The buzz bomb and V2 did not cause significant damage to Britain because they could not be accurately targeted. Yes they killed people but not the right people or in great enough numbers. The ME2 German jet aircraft, 300 of which were produced, was very unreliable, sometimes blowing up by themselves)and was defeated by superior allied air strength which would have been so weather or not D-day had occured.

As for the ramifications if this had happened they would of course be significant but may not have prolonged the length of the soviet reign in europe. Whats strange is that had the Soviets seized continental Europe it might have hastened the decline of the Soviet Union by causing a bigger drain on their economy

probably the most overrated mission was the daytime carpet bombing (where I lost my grandfather) of Germany orchestrated by Curtis Lemay ( the guy who organized SAC). The carpet bombing failed to break the German will to fight or to slow down strategic production (which had gone underground and actually INCREASED).

Alot of American lives were lost at an incredible rate for no strategic gain. True this is now hindsight and Lemay made his best decision based on the information availbale to him, and Lemay was not blood thirsty he was simply wrong

Yorktown was a seige. At that time a siege was set up and broken down by engineers. The american army had no engineers, it was basically a militia. The engineers who designed the destruction of the British battlements were French engineers. After the war when Washington told congress the American army needed engineers they told him to promote some. LOL Washington had to explain it doesn't work that way. As a result West Point was created to provide engineers.

Iraq: the unprovoked invasion of Iraq was a major departure from from past American policy. Paul Wolfowitz, who designed the preemption policy has placed america on the same path travelled by the Roman Empire. Remember all the wars fought by the romans were always claimed to be defensive as now Americas agression is.

The vietnam war was lost because the Vietnamese people didn't want a democratic government. Well what do you think is going on in Iraq. Silly americans are running around Iraq trying to set up a democratic government but no one wants to accept the fact that the Iraqi's do not want one.

George Bush Jr. says things like "Bring It On!" while his daughters (whose father and grandfather was president and great grandfather a US Senator) are attending frat parties and looking to score margaritas. But the kids doing the dying aren't from well connected families. They're the ones who signed up to help pay for college because their family can't make a donation to a big school to get their kids admitted. What a disgrace to the office. Bush Jr. has no grasp of the dangerous precedent set by his administration

I wondered how long it would take ! :) As a Rugby League fan it gets even worse!!!!!
:)

In all seriousness one thing I did not mention was the Merchant Fleet of the US, Canada and UK - they were brave men indeed.

To answer the thread somewhat more seriously and it hurts ! We should not forget the major contributions of the Australian and New Zealand forces in 2 world wars. Rommel always considered the Kiwis in particular as very tough troops indeed. Pound for pound the Anzacs would probably get my vote.

And it really hurt to say that !

dbulmer:
In all seriousness
Cheers big ears. But
Did anybody else have a bad taste left in their mouth after the last shindig we all attended. After 3/4 of the dust has settled it seems it had a lot more to do with oil and power than WOMD. I don't think little iron ( I didn't have any friends at school and this george guy likes me) johnny will get away with that ever again. There are a lot of very unhappy voters over here right now. The last person I'd be putting my butt on the line for is a politician going for office again next election. I dont think you can rate this one till it's over. Hope all that are still over there stay safe and sound.

How about the 27th Marines at Iwo Jima? A total of 12 CMO's were awarded during and after the battle. Admiral Chester Nimitiz said of the men who fought and died at Iwo, " Where uncommom valor was a common virture" :palmtree: Bob

:usa:

IndigoBlue:
There is a new movie coming out soon with Brad Pitt about the Trojan War.

Somebody in Hollywood must have figured out that with all the hoopla for the Tolkein trilogy, that there may also be viewer demand to see a modern rendition of Troy as well.

From the previews, it should be a great film.
I believe it is based on the book, Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. It is one of the best books I have read in the past few years. The book is all about the Trojans stand at Thermopylae

some info on the movie

mwilding:
I believe it is based on the book, Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. It is one of the best books I have read in the past few years. The book is all about the Trojans stand at Thermopylae (not the Trojan War, whatever that is...)

some info on the movie
OK, I am completely wrong...

Bradd Pitt is starring in Troy

George Clooney is producing Gates of Fire.

Different movies...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom