Best mask for a mustasche??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheShark1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Need something with a really thick, strong skirt.

Nose pocket always full of water. Horrible in salt.

Not interested in shaving the top of my mustasche, or silicone gel / vaseline / etc., or constant nose purging. Don’t care about price.

Just want a skirt strong enough to seal over my mustasche

Thank you very much in advance for any suggestions!!

Last edited:
Try this...

GJS

Attachments

• Helmet.jpg
    Helmet.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 87
I have also had a moustache in the past and eventually I just shaved it off. Vaseline helped a bit.

Good luck

GJS

Reactions: pez
Vaseline will ruin some mask... I just shave the very top of my moustache.. but I have blond grey moustache nobodys ever notice till I tell them :wink:

Need something with a really thick, strong skirt.

Nose pocket always full of water. Horrible in salt.

Not interested in shaving or silicone gel / vaseline / etc.

Thank you very much in advance for any suggestions!!

Hello Shark

I have a mustache and beard

I have had good luck with the DGX masks. I have both the Rio and the frameless. They both seal well but I prefer the field of view of the frameless. The advantage of the Rio is that inexpensive corrective lenses are available for it. These have been much better masks for me than the more expensive XS Scuba mask I originally picked out at a dive shop.

I found that I had to experiment with strap tension and placement get to the best seal. I found that using less tension and a higher placement on the back of my head provided a more effective seal. The design of the DGX mask strap facilitates this better than some more expensive masks. While there are some people who have trouble with some/most masks, with experience I have found that I can use almost any mask with careful attention to strap adjustment and placement.

Good luck in your search.

Thank you for the suggestion! Looking into it now..

Hello Shark

I have a mustache and beard

I have had good luck with the DGX masks. I have both the Rio and the frameless. They both seal well but I prefer the field of view of the frameless. The advantage of the Rio is that inexpensive corrective lenses are available for it. These have been much better masks for me than the more expensive XS Scuba mask I originally picked out at a dive shop.

I found that I had to experiment with strap tension and placement get to the best seal. I found that using less tension and a higher placement on the back of my head provided a more effective seal. The design of the DGX mask strap facilitates this better than some more expensive masks. While there are some people who have trouble with some/most masks, with experience I have found that I can use almost any mask with careful attention to strap adjustment and placement.

Good luck in your search.

Good question. I just keep the top of my mustache trimmed and breathe out of my nose to clear the pocket when water seeps in, but I would like a more mustache-friendly mask as well.

Nobody will want to hear this but I use Tusa Hyperdry masks. I may get a slight bit of leakage but as soon as my 'stache gets wet they seal perfectly. And any leakage is not noticed because the purge gets rid of it.

Back
Top Bottom