Best Liveaboard in the Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fun2chase:
The AquaCat would be ~2000/per person with airfare under $200 each to get there. The idea of our own head is really appealing. The other stuff is icing on the cake. How does the Nekton and the Agressor compare to the AquaCat?

Also, what is the best time to go? I am thinking April/May avoiding Hurricane season.

Thanks,
-stacy

I've not heard any negative reports on the Aquacat. It's one of the newest made ships and has roomier cabins, etc.

The Nekton is pretty roomy also. Folks I know that have been on multiple trips on it really like it.

The Nekton's boats do have a few extra fees that aren't included in your price compared to other boats. When compariing apples on all these boats, see what other fees might be included or not. Such as departure fees, port fees, customs fees, fuel surcharege, cost of Nitrox, etc. They are all different on different boats and trips.

BTW... where did you find airfare to Nassau for Aquacat from Destin(FWB) fo $200 ?

DiveMaven:
The Peter Hughes tragedy in Belize has made me very sensitive to who owns the boat I'm embarking upon, and what country the boat is flagged under. Because of this, the Nekton fleet has become my first choice for a Caribbean liveaboard since they are US flagged. The safety requirements and inspections that the USCG requires for US flagged vessels is far above what I have been able to acertain other nationalities require. ***This is an extremely personal preference on my part, and in no way is intended to say that any other liveaboard operation is unsafe in anyway. ***

I couldn't agree more here. Who owns the boat and the inspection process is very important. With that said, there have been reports of other Peter Hughes boats by other members here that were fantastic. I'm just leary though....

Nekton charges about $200 for Nitrox vs. AquaCat charging $100.

This goes back to the difference in fees' I was talking about above. Personally I thinkt he $100 extra is worth it, but I'd prob fork over the $200 also. Diving that much the Nitrox will extend your NDL and you'll just feel not as tired either.

Nekton can also only do Nitrox for a limited number of divers. Something like 6 I think. And they only guarentee you 26%

fun2chase:
The AquaCat would be ~2000/per person with airfare under $200 each to get there.-stacy

I thought "money was no object". I was going to suggest a smaller private charter yacht that goes for $9,500 for the week. They will even do the diving for you.

Now that we have discovered the reality of it querry, I like the Nekton, too. I've been aboard them all, sometimes just for a look-see, sometimes as a guest/diver. Nekton gets my money.

mike_s:
Nekton can also only do Nitrox for a limited number of divers. Something like 6 I think. And they only guarentee you 26%

They advertise 14 divers and although they say the blends are normally 29%, most folks I've spoken with say they consistently get 32%. We'll be diving Nitrox on our Cay Sal intinerary, so I'll let you know what our nitrox fills were when we return. :wink:

Have been on Nekton twice this year both times fills were 30 - 32% all week. Mostly closer to 32%.

Nekton is for diving, if I want to feel like I am cruising on a luxury yacht I will go elsewhere, but for straight diving you can't beat these boats. The only complaints I have is the dive deck can get crowded and the food on one trip was just good. Other than that I have had excellent trips and am going again in a couple of weeks.

Did the 10/28 Nexton Belize trip. Best dive trip I have ever been on. Weather was terrible, rain all week but crew, boat and DIVING were outstanding. Will book another Nexton trip in Spring for sure.

Thanks for all the input; does anyone have a suggestion on the best time of year to go? We would prefer to avoid hurricanes and bad weather if possible. November is usually good for that - but not guaranteed!

The airfare I found was from Atlanta to Nassau for under 200 (a 5 hour drive); from Destin/VPS it was ~450 (worth the drive for the difference X 2).

I've yet to do either Nekton boat, but aim to rectify that in 2007 (RoatanMan, will be letting you know when I am looking to go, then we can hook up for some more liveaboard diving).

However, I've been on the Aquacat three times and it is a very nice boat. You get five and a half days diving (27 dives if you do all the ones offered), which ain't bad for one trip. The food is always good, the crews have been top notch, and the diving in the Exumas isn't bad for the Caribbean.

Mark

MarkUK:
I've yet to do either Nekton boat, but aim to rectify that in 2007 (RoatanMan, will be letting you know when I am looking to go, then we can hook up for some more liveaboard diving).Mark

Like he said.

Nekton rocks!... but it doesn't roll.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom