Best Liveaboard in the Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Cuan Law by far!!!

nekton have been out of action for 6 years

---------- Post added December 4th, 2015 at 07:22 PM ----------

When I look at liveaboards (or cruises), I first check dates, itineraries, and point of embarkation. That often narrows my choices down considerably, depending on my desires for a trip. Next is definitely the accommodations and number of divers...is there a private head per cabin...how big are the cabins....how much common space is there....how many divers....what's the layout of the vessel.....etc??? Then would be number of dives offered per week and cost (including all the taxes, fees, etc.). At this point I'm usually narrowed down significantly to maybe one or two choices.

Nekton is the only liveaboard that I've seen in the Bahamas and Caribbean that offers 6 full days of diving, including dinner on Friday night. For example, AquaCat offers only 5 days of diving and returns to Nassau on Friday at 2pm. The Aggressor doesn't have a boat in the Bahamas. Nekton also departs out of Fort Lauderdale, saving money on having to fly into the Bahamas.

Nekton is also approximately $200 cheaper per person than AquaCat, but also carries about 10 more divers. Nekton charges about $200 for Nitrox vs. AquaCat charging $100. So you can see there are some subtle differences...in addition to AquaCat having a reputation of being more luxurious than Nekton and having more gourmet foods.

The Peter Hughes tragedy in Belize has made me very sensitive to who owns the boat I'm embarking upon, and what country the boat is flagged under. Because of this, the Nekton fleet has become my first choice for a Caribbean liveaboard since they are US flagged. The safety requirements and inspections that the USCG requires for US flagged vessels is far above what I have been able to acertain other nationalities require. ***This is an extremely personal preference on my part, and in no way is intended to say that any other liveaboard operation is unsafe in anyway. ***

The trick for choosing a liveaboard IMO is simply finding the one that appeals to you the most, then going for it!
Carib dancer !!!! same company !!!as aggressor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom