Best knot for bungee/shock cord

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't understand this. Can you provide a pic? I attach my smb and spool with a bolt snap to my tail ring on crotch strap--reachable but out of the way. For any knots I tie using shock cord that are meant not to come off, I use a square not. But maybe I'm not understanding how exactly you're employing the knot.

I don't understand this. Can you provide a pic? I attach my smb and spool with a bolt snap to my tail ring on crotch strap--reachable but out of the way. For any knots I tie using shock cord that are meant not to come off, I use a square not. But maybe I'm not understanding how exactly you're employing the knot.

Guess I just got my knots wrong. Actually using a square knot (2 ovehand knots?) to tie off a loop of cord through one of the holes in the harness.

Like this (not mine):

Mounting an SMB on the bottom of a backplate - ScubaBoard Gallery

You can only pull from one side that way right? Or at least you risk getting the spool tangled in the bungees the other way? If you rig like that, I'd use a square knot.

I have found that, in tying bungee, it's important to really stretch the line while tying the knot. The rebound of the elastic really helps the knot stay tied.

I usually just tie a basic knot around the end of the bungee line (feeding it back through itself, kinda like a "figure 8") and use 1 or 2 zip ties to keep them together. Works very well for me and I can take the bungee off easy because all I have to do is clip the zip tie versus trying to untie the full knot.

Back
Top Bottom