Best Key To Snorkel in Florida Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boastud

Registered
Reaction score
We are planning a trip to the keys in a few weeks, and we want to do so snorkeling. I've dove in key largo, but we were wondering if there were any keys that you could dive in shallower water? Most dives i was at were 25-40' deep. I was told that we are going to be snorkeling on the same boat as the scuba divers.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

The Key of C seems to be easier to hit in the water.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist that one. :D

Gary D.

I am most familiar with the upper keys and Key Largo so that is all I can comment on. I usually stay in Port Largo at the Marina del Mar Marina. There are many shallow reefs off Key Largo. Dry Rocks, for example, the reef nearly comes up to the surface. They are not reachable from shore though. You would have to either rent a boat or go on a dive boat.

Now, if you are going snorkling on a dive boat, go on a boat that only takes snorklers. There are s few that do that. There are two large catamarans in Port Largo that take snorklers out. Try this page from flakeys.com http://fla-keys.com/listing.cfm?id=71

TOM

It is common practice for many of the dive providers to put snorkelers on the boats with divers. When this happens....we usually go to some of the sites with high profile coral (North north dry rock, The Statue, Horseshoe) so that everyone has a great time!

The BEST snorkeling in the Keys is Sombrero Reef & Looe Key. Both are shallow 20+ ft. Have regular snorkel boats going daily and you can dive both from Marathon and a short drive west.
Lots of fish, coral and scenery. Inexpensive.

If you're planning on snorkeling from the beach, definitely Bahia Honda State Park.

MsParamedic:
It is common practice for many of the dive providers to put snorkelers on the boats with divers. When this happens....we usually go to some of the sites with high profile coral (North north dry rock, The Statue, Horseshoe) so that everyone has a great time!

I second MsParamedic...

No interest in holding your breath I guess:confused:?? Sombrero Reef (West Marathon) has some shallow heads near the light and Looe Key (Ramrod through Big Pine Key) has some shallow heads also, both under 3m. But seriously, start working on those freediving skills and you will open up a whole new page in your diving experiences. Plus you'll make all the other snorkelers jealous when you're the last one on the boat because you can't get enough 2min breath holds. They'll wonder where you disapeared too:wink:. And not to mention getting closer to just about everything without scaring it away with your bubbles. Just a thought though:D.

Being free all the gear in the water is great fun. (I'm lugging enough lead to sink a 7mm this weekend, and the dock is at the bottom of a long flight of stairs.)

Looe Key is an all-time favorite, and I try to get there everytime I'm in the neighborhood. It gets shallow enough I've had to turn my fins sideways and use my arms to swim over the top of the reef. Saw my first shark there. If you have a mixed boat (divers & snorkelers), you might make the first stop at the deep end. A little harder to reach than Molasses or Pennekamp, but worth the trip. Plus you'll be about an hour from Key West. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom