best Island for shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stortecky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will doing a family with my wife's family some where in Hawaii next summer. I am looking at doing about 75% shore diving because we will only be diving when everyone else is on the beach.

I am looking for the island with the best over all shore diving. I know this is a wide open question but any input you can give me would be great.

Thanks

Kona or Kauai, for me it's is a toss up, but since I like the quite nature of Kauai, I'd probably go there. Plus, I would definitely make another trip to Niihau!

I can't speak for the neighbor islands' shore diving, as I haven't had the opportunity yet to try it. But since you mentioned coming in the summer time, you'll have the chance to make shore dives from Oahu's North Shore. The sites are easily acccessible and really wonderful. Conditions on the leeward side of the island are usually pretty reliable, and there are a few sites there also. South Shore dive sites during the summer may be a bit dicey due to the increased wave activity (the South Shore gets the bigger surf in the summer, and the North Shore in the winter).

Other folk on this board will have much greater experience to draw on than mine and be capable of giving a more balanced opinion, but all I can offer you is this: Scuba Shore Diving Region: Hawaiian Islands

Have fun, and I hope you have a great trip to Hawaii.

Last edited:
Usually Kona and West Maui (Kihei or Lahaina) have the best reputation for Shore diving. Maui has been rated as some of the easiest shore diving as well. Many sites which are less than 100 yards from the parking lot to the water.

Aloha, Tim

P.S. Here are some of my favorite shore dives on Maui from when I lived there: Aloha Shore Divers

If you need beaches AND shore diving, Maui will probably be a better choice than the Big Island. The Big Island doesn't have that many actual beaches, and Maui has some of the nicest beaches in the world.

Beach + shore diving probably points you to Maui. You'll have opportunities to dive from shore on any of the islands as you can imagine but Maui has VERY extensive shore diving opportunities. I believe the even still print a guide essentially dedicated to shore diving with over 25 sites. Having lived on Maui for a couple years I can vouch for the very high quality of dives from shore. A couple preserves are available to you as well as many easy to reach sites regardless of where you stay. Kona is...well, "Kona." Calm beautiful clear water with a variety of sites as well. As mentioned in a previous post the beaches are different and "may" not be what you are looking for if you envision silky soft white sand for the kids to build castles in while the rest of the gang lays out. Kauai (my home) is wonderful for diving as are all the islands but the shore diving is limited. The south shore has an amazing dive the can holds it's own against any in Hawaii with it's incredible marine critters. The north shore has a single dive as well, but it is typically lower vis' and extremely limited in terms of marine critters. The draw is for the topography and good vis' and diversity of critters "is not" to be expected. "Shaka Doug" on Maui is a great reference is you choose to explore more options there. "Black Rock" and "Mala Wharf" near Lahaina are two personal favorites.

Good luck. I'm sure you find plenty of help here with making your decision. Life's pretty good when you're spending time trying to decide "which island" you have to choose!

We'll be going to Hawaii in 2 weeks and spending a week on Maui and a week on the big island. We also plan to do alot of shore diving. We've found this website invaluable...

www.shorediving.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom