Best instructors in NJ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris633

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am hoping for some advice. I completed my OW certification in the fall with the plan of diving in the Bahamas last month. I ended up not diving simply because I did not feel confident enough yet. So now I am thinking of doing the Peak Performance Buoyancy class and maybe the AOW in order to sharpen my skills and feel more confident in the water. So I am looking for recommendations on great instructors in the Northern New Jersey area. I am also reasonably close to NEPA and NYC. Ideally I am hoping to connect with an instructor who will take their time teaching the skills and is thorough. Someone whose primary goal is making a great diver.

I would be happy to teach you a buoyancy class and/or AOW at Dutch Springs. I'm in NEPA and teach PSAI Advanced Buoyancy Control. I also co-wrote the manual for the class. If not me, I'd recommend Wayne Fisch at Scuba Connection in Hillsborough if you are looking for a NJ instructor or a PADI PPB and PADI AOW instructor.

I think you are taking the right steps to compensate what I interpret as a lackluster open water course as you should walk away with the confidence to dive in similar conditions in which you were trained.

To get the maximum out of your training, educating oneself is key. Here is a little blurb I share with prospective and new divers.
--
If a student wishes to maximize her or his benefit from early training (open water and advanced open water certification), it is important that the student interviews prospective instructors to find a good match in terms of personality and teaching methods.

In order to facilitate this process for the teaching methods, there are a couple of books and websites that I highly recommend (I also recommend them to instructors who pursue excellence as an instructor).
The books I recommend are by James (Jim) Lapenta for open water and advanced open water courses.

https://www.amazon.com/SCUBA-Practical-Guide-New-Diver-ebook/dp/B00I9K2KW4/
https://www.amazon.com/SCUBA-Practical-Advanced-Training-Adavanced-ebook/dp/B01N3UDHLT/

The online resources I recommend are by Harry Averill (a.k.a. Cave Diver Harry) and Andy Davis. Both are generous with publishing top notch training. Their respective websites/blogs are found here:
Cave Diver Harry
Technical Diving Articles | Techniques | Knowledgebase

For those who seek true excellence in diving in the skills they develop, I recommend that students look for instructors with strong tech backgrounds and/or ones that have gone through GUE Fundamentals, UTD Essentials, or ISE Basics of Exploration or are certified for cave diving. The reason that I recommend instructors with such a background is they have pursued excellence in their own diving, as these are some of the most difficult courses a diver can take. Students who take these courses find that they have the result of dramatically improved diving skills. And that translates to helping the new diver have the appropriate foundation of skills from which he or she can grow rapidly.

While people like Andy Davis, Jim Lapenta, and Harry Averill are not accessible to everyone, there are a number of other instructors who look at how to teach at the highest possible level. Look for them. Students may recommend other instructors, but honestly, while they have good intentions, they honestly don't know what makes a good instructor. It wasn't until I became an instructor that I realized how many standards violations occurred during many of my courses. Through my own pursuit of excellence as an instructor, I learned about better methods for teachings as I started with a number of shortcomings myself, and I'm still growing. Unfortunately I've learned that many instructors are mediocre. Fortunately, there are f a student wishes to maximize her or his benefit from early training (open water and advanced open water certification), it is important that the student interviews prospective instructors to find a good match in terms of personality and teaching methods.
In order to facilitate this process for the teaching methods, there are a couple of books and websites that I highly recommend (I also recommend them to instructors who pursue excellence as an instructor).
The books I recommend are by James (Jim) Lapenta for open water and advanced open water courses.

https://www.amazon.com/SCUBA-Practical-Guide-New-Diver-ebook/dp/B00I9K2KW4/
https://www.amazon.com/SCUBA-Practical-Advanced-Training-Adavanced-ebook/dp/B01N3UDHLT/

The online resources I recommend are by Harry Averill (a.k.a. Cave Diver Harry) and Andy Davis. Both are generous with publishing top notch training. Their respective websites/blogs are found here:
Cave Diver Harry
Technical Diving Articles | Techniques | Knowledgebase

For those who seek true excellence in diving in the skills they develop, I recommend that students look for instructors with strong tech backgrounds and/or ones that have gone through GUE Fundamentals, UTD Essentials, or ISE Basics of Exploration or are certified for cave diving. The reason that I recommend instructors with such a background is they have pursued excellence in their own diving, as these are some of the most difficult courses a diver can take. Students who take these courses find that they have the result of dramatically improved diving skills. And that translates to helping the new diver have the appropriate foundation of skills from which he or she can grow rapidly.

While people like Andy Davis, Jim Lapenta, and Harry Averill are not accessible to everyone, there are a number of other instructors who look at how to teach at the highest possible level. Look for them. Students may recommend other instructors, but honestly, while they have good intentions, they honestly don't know what makes a good instructor. It wasn't until I became an instructor that I realized how many standards violations occurred during many of my courses. Through my own pursuit of excellence as an instructor, I learned about better methods for teachings as I started with a number of shortcomings myself, and I'm still growing. Unfortunately I've learned that many instructors are mediocre. Fortunately, there are so many instructors who are excellent but it requires some work by the student to find them.

Finally, I'd recommend checking out this basic skills video: (not sure why it doesn't play at the beginning. Tried to force it but it doesn't work).

All skills should be performed while trim and midwater. This allows students to improve their buoyancy skills while waiting their turn to perfect the skills underwater, thus making much better use of confined and open water training. many instructors who are excellent but it requires some work by the student to find them.

Finally, I'd recommend checking out this basic skills video: (not sure why it doesn't play at the beginning. Tried to force it but it doesn't work).

All skills should be performed while trim and midwater. This allows students to improve their buoyancy skills while waiting their turn to perfect the skills underwater, thus making much better use of confined and open water training.

I'm a GUE-F, Tech 1 and Tech 2 diver and a cave instructor. Wayne is GUE-F and a cave diver.

Check out my website scubacoachtrace.com. I have various skill videos I'm demonstrating such as the one below:

Last edited:
I am hoping for some advice. I completed my OW certification in the fall with the plan of diving in the Bahamas last month. I ended up not diving simply because I did not feel confident enough yet. So now I am thinking of doing the Peak Performance Buoyancy class and maybe the AOW in order to sharpen my skills and feel more confident in the water. So I am looking for recommendations on great instructors in the Northern New Jersey area. I am also reasonably close to NEPA and NYC. Ideally I am hoping to connect with an instructor who will take their time teaching the skills and is thorough. Someone whose primary goal is making a great diver.
I am located in Yonkers NY..teaching thru PADI 40 years, before that NASDS and then SSI..you are already certified and all you may need is a refresher pool session to smooth things out. Contact me here or at Scuba New York. www.scubanewyork.com
Refresher can be scheduled at any time,facility has onsite indoor heated salt water pool.

I'm a GUE-F, Tech 1 and Tech 2 diver and a cave instructor. Wayne is GUE-F and a cave diver.

Check out my website scubacoachtrace.com. I have various skill videos I'm demonstrating such as the one below:

@Chris633 ,

I'd recommend to go with Trace or Wayne. While I have never trained with them personally,I have some understanding of the training they've been through (and provide). I can say with a high degree of certainty that you will come away with new and dramatically improved existing skills.

Thank you everyone for all of the feedback! At the time I had received my OW training, I thought the training was good even though the checkout dives felt a little rushed and there were a couple of things I didn't like. But I didn't have any major complaints and, honestly, what did I know. Then I discovered this board. I was mainly researching what classes I should take and recommended gear to buy. Along the way I read how some instructors here on the board approach their classes and the standards they maintain. It was at that point I really began to look at my own training and what was obviously missing. And the need for further training became obvious. Now I have some great options to consider and material to watch and read. Thank you!

I would be happy to teach you a buoyancy class and/or AOW at Dutch Springs. I'm in NEPA and teach PSAI Advanced Buoyancy Control. I also co-wrote the manual for the class. If not me, I'd recommend Wayne Fisch at Scuba Connection in Hillsborough if you are looking for a NJ instructor or a PADI PPB and PADI AOW instructor.

+1 for the guys at The Scuba Connection (aka Dive Seekers). Great Shop, all around!

-PH

No Brainer.....Go with Trace. Ive taken multiple classes with him and I dont think there is anyone better out there!

I have done a product demo with Wayne and I think highly of him as well.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom