Best in Mask Visibility - Atomic Aquatic Frameless

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was my initial experience and theory and I was thinking of going back to my Mini-Shadow.... but I forgot to, and eventually the problem went away. Yeah the skirt is so soft that I think I just started to dive it more subtlly, especially when clearing it. With the Mini-Shadow I was definately diving it more hamfistedly and had to adjust to the softness of the Atomic. Try it again.

That was my initial experience and theory and I was thinking of going back to my Mini-Shadow.... but I forgot to, and eventually the problem went away. Yeah the skirt is so soft that I think I just started to dive it more subtlly, especially when clearing it. With the Mini-Shadow I was definately diving it more hamfistedly and had to adjust to the softness of the Atomic. Try it again.

I plan to try it again. It's otherwise such a nice mask--the glass was super-clear as advertised, it's foldable, etc., etc. I really want to love it. Maybe I need to be more conscious of the exhale. Sometimes, though I intentionally exhale through my nose a little in order to avoid mask squeeze as I descend, as I suppose we all do. I guess I'll give it another try before ditching it, but if avoiding leakage means I have to focus so much on my breathing instead of enjoying my dive, I may prefer a more forgiving mask.

---------- Post Merged at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:14 PM ----------

No I do not think its normal for a low volume. At least I do not experience that :) are you sure it leaks under the skirt and not disloged anywhere or just have a leak between the glass and the silicone?

How can I test it for a leak between the glass and the silicone? Certainly there's no obvious leak there. If it leaks there, it might occur only under pressure. But I have to believe a quality mask like this wouldn't have such a major defect.

Also, as I said, it feels to me like water drips in when I exhale or at the slightest facial movement. Even my trusty old mask would leak slightly when I would see something amazing and break into a huge smile, but that was expected. The Atomic Aquatics Frameless just seemed less forgiving of facial movement, and it leaked even more when I smiled.

Also, as I said, it feels to me like water drips in when I exhale or at the slightest facial movement. Even my trusty old mask would leak slightly when I would see something amazing and break into a huge smile, but that was expected. The Atomic Aquatics Frameless just seemed less forgiving of facial movement, and it leaked even more when I smiled.

Git yer Vogue on.

I'll tell you that of all the masks I've ever tried on, the Hollis masks fit me the best. I'm not a fan of the Mini-Shadows. The Hollis M1 is too small for my huge nose. The M4 fits me much better. It also seems to fit the broader faces better. I don't have a "wide" face...but I'm 6'6" and not a small man otherwise. Hollis is also supposedly releasing an M3 some time soon. It's supposed to look like a cross between an M1 and the old M2. I'll tell you, it'll fit differently than the M1 and the M4. Try before you buy....that's really the trick. I like the "hands-off" method. Any mask will fit if you push it on your face and inhale REALLY hard. There go my two cents.

I may have to give mine to my husband since he covets it and buy the medium for myself. I'm finding the skirt is slightly large on the bottom.
Just want to verify, the Medium is smaller than the Regular?

Sorry it took a few days to answer. I was on the Aqua Cat all last week. Yes, the medium has the smaller skirt.

Back
Top Bottom