Best ID books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sschlesi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What are your favorite ID books for the local flora and fauna?

I'm interested in getting a few books to cover all the local plant and animal life from whales on down to the various soft and slimy things growing on the rocks.

Scott S.

I have and can recommend:

Coastal Fishes of the Pacific Northwest by Andy Lamb and Phil Edgell

Coastal Fish Identification California to Alaska by Paul Humann

Whelks to Whales Coastal Marine Life of the Pacific Northwest by Rick M. Harbo

Eastern Pacific Nudibranches A guide to the Opisthobranchs from Alaska to Central America by David Behrens and Alicia Hermosillo

I have and can recommend:

Coastal Fish Identification California to Alaska by Paul Humann

Whelks to Whales Coastal Marine Life of the Pacific Northwest by Rick M. Harbo
I also have those two books. Whelks to Whales is a great general book as it covers the more common stuff.

I also have "Pacific Coast Nudibranchs" (second edition) by David Behrens which is a great resource for nudi lovers.

I also have "Guide to Marine Invertebrates, Alaska to Baja California" by Daniel Gotshall which fills in the gaps left by Whelks to Whales more general format.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll get the big one from Lamb for sure, and see what else amazon can get for me.

I noticed that used copies of some of the out of print books are listed for $80+, I wonder if there is that much demand or if the sellers are just being greedy?

Scott S.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom