Best Honolulu dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personal favorites
1) Ke'eau Corners (mixed topographry, lava tubes, pelagics)
2) Three tables (really nice overhangs and hidden places to explore)
3) Hale'Iwa Trench (awesome wall dive)

not neccasarily in that order, its all about what I am in the mood for.

You don't need a dive operator for any of those, in fact there are only a couple of dives that you do need a boat for, YO-257, Cosair, LCU maybe a couple of others, but I have found them to be very boring sites compared to the above.

Check out this site for more ideas and information
Shore Diving Maps
I would not recommend Lanai Lookout without a guide as the entry and exit can be confusing and even dangerous, not to mention if you miss the exit (which can be easy to do when the current is up) the next oppurtunity is Hanuama Bay and you better have a lot of air to make it there.

Edit: I just noticed the Feb part. I think that the north and windward shore is going to be out, so remaining sites that are going to be good.
Electric Beach, Ke'eau Corners, Land of Oz, Rainbow Reef/Magic Island all good sites that should be ok.

A little word that will help, talk with the lifegaurd about current conditions and your dive plan, they were great about giving us information about the current and keeping on eye on us when I was out diving. One time at Makaha Caverns noticed the current pick up to almost 3 knots. They sent a guy out on a rescue board to make sure we all found our way back.

Very interesting how every one can bash businesses and not feel any remorse if you push away a customer for them. Let people experience it for themselves and then decide. A customer may think one shop is better than the other but we all have different personalities.
Justleesa gives a very good list of the sites on the Island just remember that our island may seem small but we have the traffic of some larger cities. If your staying in Waikiki and have to make it to the West side do give yourself plenty of time plan accordingly.

The South East corner of the island would be Hawaii Kai where you would find.
Wreck Corsair plane wreck 105'
Wreck Baby Barge and Large Barge 66' to 95'
Port lock Wall avg 45'
Fantasy Reef avg 40'
Koko Crater 40'to 60'
Anglers Reef
Ect.......shallow dives

Also on the South side of the Island would be Honolulu and Waikiki.
Wreck Sea tiger 75' max 122'
Wreck YO-257 and San Pedro 60' max 115'
100' Hole 60' to 80'
Turtle Canyon or Turtles Avg40' or less
Kewalo Pipe 35' to 65'
Nautilus Reef Avg40'
Horseshoe Reef Avg45' to60'
Rainbow Reef Avg40' or less
Ect......... shallow dives

West side of island Wai anae
Wreck Mahi 65' to 95'
Wreck LCU 60' to 80'
Airplane Canyon 65' to 105'
Black Rock 55' to 110'
Starz 35' to 60'
Oz Avg45'
Turtles Avg40'
Makaha Caverns Avg40'
Ect.......shallow dives

As a tourist in HI for each of the past several Januaries I can say there aren't any bad dive sites around Ohau. Each site has pluses and minuses. Which you prefer is really a personal decision. You will find passionate advocates for each of several. So, my recommendation is to dive as many as you can and then decide.

As for dive operators; Ocean Concepts is definitely the Big Dog. As such a lot of other folks like to play a version of that childhood game "Kind of the Hill". Suffice it to say that as far as I can see most of the instructors and DMs on the island have been trained there. I've been on their boat when there were only the DM and a couple divers. I've also been on their boat when it was packed. But, when a dive trip is scheduled they go if there is even one customer.

There is an, to me, odd thing about posts on Oahu dive operators. They take on a passionate, combative nature. Never the less after diving several operators there are only a couple I'd go with again. I don't want to get another internet clogging thread going so I'll not rehash what you can find with a search. In that regard, there is very little change in the operator's methods. They may change faces from time to time. But their methods seem to stay the same. So, old posts are still useful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom