Best Hawaii December Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm...doesn't look like the Fathom Five dive times would work in my schedule. :(

Aloha!

We (Aquatic Adventures Scuba in Poipu) have four check-in times for diving at Koloa Landing:
7:15AM, 10:15AM, 12:30PM and 3:30PM. Sounds like the 10:15 or 12:30 might work well for you. If you are still interested in squeezing in some Kauai diving, PM me and I can get you more info. It is a great site to dive -especially that time of year, easy to get in and out w/o taking up a lot of time and you will get to see a ton of endemic critters. Hope this info helps you :O)

Howdy all!

My family and I will be in Hawaii (cruising) this December and my wife and I would like to get a couple of days of two tank dives in on a couple of the islands. From the little research I've done I understand that December means rough waters for a lot of the popular dive sites, so I want to try to find where the best sites will likely be.

We'll be cruising in and hitting the following ports (as listed by the cruiseline):
Hilo
Honolulu
Kauai
Lahaina

My wife and I are both very new to diving (we certified and have done a couple of dives in Mexico) and so would likely want to keep to pretty basic dives. My wife is very nervous about having no bottom beneath her as well as sharks (so we'd like to avoid those two as possible). She would also love to be able to see sea turtles one of our dives.

That all being said, any suggestions as to which dive shops we should look for, on which islands we're most likely get the best dives in December, and any other tips for divers new to both diving in general and Hawaii as well?

Thanks!
Kenny...are you going on the Golden Princess departing LA on the 10th, by any chance?

__Birm

Birm, sorry I haven't had a chance to reply. Last week was crazy at work and I didn't have a chance to do anything outside of work.

We are indeed going on the Golden Princess out of LA on the 10th. I see from your other post (and of course you asking here) that you'll be on the same cruise!

No worries, Ken.

Maybe the four of us could have dinner one night on the voyage to Hawaii. (Wow..."voyage to Hawaii." Soundls like more of an adventure that way. :wink: )

Also, I'm curious. Are you bringing along SCUBA gear, or do you plan to rent on site? The reason I ask is because I'm a new enough diver that I don't have any stuff except a mask. I'm wondering if renting to try out different stuff makes sense for me at this point. I understand that you and your wife are both fairly new divers as well, and you may have a differeing view.

Thanks,
__Birm

Ric (& Bev) Birmele

Hehe...ya...we're pretty new divers ourselves. We bought ourselves the full snorkel package (mask, snorkel, boots, fins) and take those with us when we snorkel or dive. We do that because we've had family recomend it, our dive instructor recomend it, and the fit of those things seem pretty important (if I keep diving I may eventually invest in a regulator/computer and BCD).

We have done snorkeling on a cruise a year ago (got certified for that cruise then had an emergency appendectomy two weeks before the cruise...D'oh! As much as I tried to talk dive master, doctors, etc. into letting me dive anyway...everyone shot it down), and diving on our last cruise. We hauled our own snorkeling gear on both cruises on any port we wanted to snorkel/dive. We were both very glad to after seeing some of the blisters some others got with the rental fins.

Of course the biggest one to me is the mask...making sure you have a good, comfortable mask with a good fit seems most important (except maybe a familiar BCD/regulator...but different cost range).

Hauling all the snorkeling equipment on the trip was definitely a bit of a pain. Amazing how much weight they add to an already full set of suitcases, not to mention the space. And with the new restrictions on space/weight that all the airlines are imposing...it'll be even more painful to do it. It would also be really nice to just show up to the dive without any gear, and leave without any gear (and not have to rinse the gear out once you get back to your extremely spacious shower in your room). That being said...having our own gear that fit well and we were familiar/comfortable with was well worth it to us and we'll be bringing our snorkeling gear with us on this trip as well.

I had to chuckle a bit at your post Ken. You talk of "lugging" snorkel gear on a cruise...our last cruise had us bringing our entire dive kit! You want to talk about lugging gear....especially when it was wet at the end of the dive. That's when we decided cruising and diving don't mix well and have only done liveaboards to "cruise" since then.

I agree that fit of personal gear is extremely important and you'll be glad to have your own mask and fins. You'll likely find that dive gear is newer and well maintained in Hawaii, so renting shouldn't be a dicey experience. You'll have a great time, but make sure you post a trip report when you return so we'll all know how it went.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom