Best florida instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Elaine L

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello
I'm new to Florida. I live in Deltona and I have wanted to learn to dive pretty much my whole life. Now that I live in Florida I would like to get your opinions on the best dive school and instructors in the Daytona or New Symerna area. :D

My recommendation will be a little biased, but I am very comfortable in making it. I would recommend talking to Tracy Grubbs at Spruce Creek Scuba in Port Orange. I have taken a few courses with them and find him and his staff to be very competent. They will not give you a certification if you don't pass their standards, that being said they will work with you until you do at no extra charge. You will likely hear that it's the instructor not the agency that you should look into and I fully agree with that. My only experience with instruction in this area are with them, I do not know about the other shops in the area (Seadogs in New Smyrna, Atlantic Scuba in Holly Hill and Discover Diving Dive Center in Port Orange) as far as instruction, but I don't hear anything negative about any of them. I have visited them all (nice folks in all of them) and actually have a good relationship with Atlantic Scuba for servicing, air and vintage equipment. Also, not that it should make a difference in your choice, Spruce Creek is an SSI shop the others are all PADI. You may also consider Dayo Scuba in Winter Park, I heard good things about them and they may be closer to you. Talk to all of them and find one that you feel comfortable with. Hope this helps.

Hello
I'm new to Florida. I live in Deltona and I have wanted to learn to dive pretty much my whole life. Now that I live in Florida I would like to get your opinions on the best dive school and instructors in the Daytona or New Symerna area. :D

Just as a point of order, I think you don't want to ask for the "best" of anything around SB as it just causes food fights.

What you want is peoples recommendations on good experiences - which is of course what you meant :)

Hello and welcome to ScubaBoard.

This is a big site with lots of special areas. Since you are considering diving, your choice to post in the New Divers and Those Considering Diving forum makes a lot of sense. On the other hand, you are asking about a specific area, so I think you might get a better response if I move this to the Florida subforum. I will therefore move it there.

I endorse Spruce Creek also.

Chug
Thinks a personal endorsement and two bucks is worth a cup of coffee at Dunkee-Donutz.

Don't know about the best but I taken cavern/intro with Tracy from Spruce Creek scuba and I was very happy with the level of training and his training style. You have to learn and exhibit competency to get the cert

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Both my daughter and I have taken classes with Spuce Creek Scuba and we have our gear serviced there. I cannot imagine there being a shop that I would recommend more. The instructors are awesome and I am confident in the condition of our gear and Tracy, the owner, is a really nice guy. That has been our personal experiences with them over the last 4 years.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom