best florida dive after cert.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafire:
I want to do Devil's Den. Is Rainbow River good diving? I have never heard of it.

RR is a little bit farther south and is a shallow, fresh water, drift dive. My wife claims it as one of her favorites and I agree. Very pretty. Kinda like the Sante Fe but the water is more like you find in Ginnie Springs. Nice and lush and still pretty natural and clean looking.

Come over to Panama City and try the Jetties! Photographers love it, and you can see some really great things -- and it's not a difficult dive at all if you go during a slack tide!

Panama City has some of the most entertaining dive sites around.

I did West Palm beach as my first dives after cert. It's a drift over nice reefs, I saw lots of turtles, they drop you and pick you up. Even if you request a instructor it'll only be around 75. It was really a great way to...get my feet wet (couldn't resist).

I really enjoy West Palm, however, it is a long drive back if you leave right after the dive. I went to Ginnie a couple of weeks ago and I was really dissapointed. I thought the springs were very small for diving, unless you are diving the caves. I have been thinking of doing the dive at epcot. That may night be a bad idea for a new diver.

I guess, which is worse 3 hr drive and 20min boat ride or 1 hr drive and 1 to 2 hr boatride? Usually I'm on such a high after a dive that driving far isn't that big a deal.

I am planning to make the trip down there again July 2nd. Send me a pm before then if you would like to join us and I will give you the details.

RJTY:
went to Ginnie a couple of weeks ago and I was really dissapointed. I thought the springs were very small for diving, unless you are diving the caves.

This is an interesting thought. I've been to Ginnie several times now. On my first dive we went from the primary entrance to the river, and back. And I saw nearly nothing. Doing that same dive again months later after I got better in the water, I was STUNNED at how much life their was.

Now, I do that dive and I could probably burn a tank and not move more than 100ft. You could burn a tank (or 1/3 tank :)) inside the cavern alone. Poking around in the underhangs and under the ladders will reveal all kinds of life. Over in the devils run, I've spent lots of time watching the turtles, and seeing the baby turtles adventure out from their hiding spots and scurry back when they see and hear you coming.

I guess it really depends on what you came to see. I am far more interested in wrecks than the various marine life, but Ginnie never fails to impress me when I slow down and pay attention. I used to wonder what those rebreather guys could possible DO on a dive for 4-8 hours. Now I know.

Hmmmm. I will admit I rushed the dive a little at Ginnie (Rushed, I mean we didnt stay long at either spring). It was crowded, small, and weather was bad. Maybe I expected more after all I have read. I will try it again someday.

Well, it's not Dutch Springs! :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom