Best Fins under $80?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

polyester1970

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm going to buy some fins as a gift for a couple of people because they're getting certified. They're not sure if they're going to stick with it so it might be a waste to spend $150+ (especially since it's my money!).

I've browsed quite a bit here, there seems to be lots of debate about split vs. paddle and I think I'm convinced that paddles are not inferior to splits so I'm totally open to either. Personally, I have some splits but that's just what my dive instructor told me to buy when I was getting certified.

I want to get them the best fins under $80 or so. (a) Open-Heel (b) diving in warm Caribbean waters, but they're getting certified in a cold lake so need open-heel. (c) performance/maneuverability/efficiency/safety is very important.

I've looked at Oceanic Vipers, Cressis and a couple others. I see the Tusa Xpert Zoom is cheap everywhere, but that angled design seems like a issue when walking off the boat and read some negative reviews on them.

If you have a tip on a really high quality fin under $80 - please share. Thanks!

Keywords (for others to find later): cheap inexpensive price

I'm in the same boat as you are, looking for some quality fins and a reasonable price. A friend of friend has a pair of Oceanic Vipers and swears by them, and they seem to get very good customer reviews on various websites.

Just throwing it out there but, if you have the time...I'd do a quick search on ebay and craigslist.

Never know what you may find.

I found a sweet almost new pair of Mares Volo's for $75.

This is just a thought. After reading a review a couple of years ago about fins, one fin really stood out and it was the Mares Avanti Superchannel Full Foot Fin. It beat out all the others tested against it and some of the fins were top of the line and high dollar. So I bought a pair just to see and now I dive with only them. They were as good as the review said. The cost was like $65 - $70.

I know you said you were looking for an open heel because they were getting certified in some cold water. But if that's it for the cold and the rest of the time they will be in the warmer conditions like the caribbean, then they could just borrow a pair for certification.

IMO, you won't find a better fin for the money. And they are light so that helps with travel.

You raise a good point. I also have full-foot fins and I read that they usually perform a little better probably because they wrap around your heel. However, when I was in Curacao last year, there were a lot of rocks on shore making it painful to walk barefoot especially with all that gear on. I wished I had open-heels then.

Do you think there's much performance difference between open-heel vs. full foot?

This is just a thought. After reading a review a couple of years ago about fins, one fin really stood out and it was the Mares Avanti Superchannel Full Foot Fin. It beat out all the others tested against it and some of the fins were top of the line and high dollar. So I bought a pair just to see and now I dive with only them. They were as good as the review said. The cost was like $65 - $70.

I know you said you were looking for an open heel because they were getting certified in some cold water. But if that's it for the cold and the rest of the time they will be in the warmer conditions like the caribbean, then they could just borrow a pair for certification.

IMO, you won't find a better fin for the money. And they are light so that helps with travel.

I own a set of these, and they are ridiculously good quality fins for only $26 (new). Can't wear them with a bootie, but if you are OK with full foot, you cannot possibly do better.

You raise a good point. I also have full-foot fins and I read that they usually perform a little better probably because they wrap around your heel. However, when I was in Curacao last year, there were a lot of rocks on shore making it painful to walk barefoot especially with all that gear on. I wished I had open-heels then.

Do you think there's much performance difference between open-heel vs. full foot?

Nope. To be quite honest, I think there isn't all that much difference in fins period. People start talking about one fin is faster/more powerful, etc than another. For most recreational diving, I think most fins will do the job. Really good fins don't have to cost much money.

I do have another open heel fin that I use when I go to Bonaire because of the shore diving but that's the only place I use them now.

I agree people spend way too much energy worrying about fins sometimes and if you buy them any reasonable scuba fin with decent reviews they'll be fine. Since your friends probably don't have any preferences yet as to split/non or other things, that's about the best you can do. I would say if you think they might travel with them, try not to buy really heavy ones, like jets or many of the splits.

Personally, I'm not sure I would spend even $80 each on fins for people that already aren't sure they're going to stick with it. And even if they do who knows if they'll like what you picked? Got any to loan them? Ebay? You can buy really good fins for little money sometimes, especially models that aren't current but are still as good or better as many new ones. If you don't want to gift someone eBay fins, buy them for your scuba stash and loan them. Then if they want to keep them fine, if you get them back you can always resell them if you don't want them.

I just bought the Tusa Liberator Fins. I needed something inexpensive, light, and useful for both snorkeling and diving... These seemed to fit the bill. They are arriving today, I can let you know how they turn out, but the reviews I've read are all positive.

Fins are a very personal choice that every diver must make on their own! :D

Seriously, give them a gift certificate. You can NOT know if they want open heel, full foot, split, or paddle.

IMO it's also about comfort. The LDS may also persuade them to purchase what they have in stock! They will also need botties, a mask, and a ton of other gear!

Give them a VISA gift certificate for the amount you are planning on spending. I guess you could narrow the gift by providing them a LP gift certificate, or a certificate good at only dive stores...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom