Best Fins under $80?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have Oceanic Viper's. In the handfull of times I've been able to dive with them, they were all I could ask for. I agree with tiggrr. With a little digging, you'll be suprised how much you can save even on a pair of unused fins.

I agree. Although I think certain products are better than others I think most products will probably do fine for beginners. I guess I worry less about performance/speed, but just ease of use, comfort - those things that anyone will notice. I thought there might be some SB'ers that know of some really high quality fins that give the $150 fins a run for their money, but are much less expensive. And I'd also be interested in what fins are completely worthless, a pain to use, etc... and stay away from those.

I'm buying the fins for my sisters. They're budget is a little tighter than mine so I offered to set them up, but at the same time I don't want to buy $150 fins if they might not use them again, taking some great fins off the market for people who might appreciate them more.

I agree people spend way too much energy worrying about fins sometimes and if you buy them any reasonable scuba fin with decent reviews they'll be fine. Since your friends probably don't have any preferences yet as to split/non or other things, that's about the best you can do. I would say if you think they might travel with them, try not to buy really heavy ones, like jets or many of the splits.

Personally, I'm not sure I would spend even $80 each on fins for people that already aren't sure they're going to stick with it. And even if they do who knows if they'll like what you picked? Got any to loan them? Ebay? You can buy really good fins for little money sometimes, especially models that aren't current but are still as good or better as many new ones. If you don't want to gift someone eBay fins, buy them for your scuba stash and loan them. Then if they want to keep them fine, if you get them back you can always resell them if you don't want them.

How well they fit is the most important criterion when selecting fins. Too loose and they may raise blisters or fall off. Too tight and they may cause cramping. Fin sizing can be very arbitrary when comparing different fin models and in any case fins are sized by foot length only, not according to width and the height of the arch, so it's most unwise to settle on a particular model or even a brand. Fins, like masks, must be tested for fit before purchase. They must accommodate the user's feet, not somebody else's.

I agree too that you can buy perfectly serviceable fins for a lot less than $80. I snorkel off the North East coast of England with traditional full-foot all-rubber fins costing under $30. Over the years, after lots of trial and error, I've found several pairs of these fins with foot pockets that accommodate my feet exactly as well as suiting my swimming style. The fact that they fit my feet so well doesn't mean that they are the best choice for somebody else, though.

I'm inclined to agree with those who recommend providing the funding while letting the recipients of the monetary gift make up their own minds which fins to purchase.

You don't need to get used fins. OMS Slipstreams are my favorite regardless of price. Scubatoys has them for $85.50 and I believe they offer a 10% discount to Scubaboarders. These are good fins.

if you get them something they can't return, they may be taking your name in vain for quite awhile.

Fins have to fit like shoes, not too long, not too wide. Otherwise, your feet will be miserable, and you may get leg cramps. Not fun.

go for the gift certificate idea.

Fins are a very personal choice that every diver must make on their own! :D

Seriously, give them a gift certificate. You can NOT know if they want open heel, full foot, split, or paddle.

IMO it's also about comfort. The LDS may also persuade them to purchase what they have in stock! They will also need botties, a mask, and a ton of other gear!

I have to second this advice! It's great that you want to give them a little present for finishing their qualifications, i wish i had a friend like you.....
I really do think that a gift certificate is the best way of going as they with still appreciate the gesture and they get exactly what they want.... win/win!!!

I would also have to go along with the gift certificate/card idea. Or, you could go up to the dive shop with them and have them try on some fins. I, for one, would go for ScubaPro JetFins. Versatile, bulletproof fins. I picked up a brand new pair online for about $70.

I am curious what you all think of Tusa Zoom Fins White Only Close out
$64.95 at Scuba toys. I don't own them but was recently diving with someone who had the full foot version and seemed very happy with them.
thinking for the price of trying split fins although might just get the full foot for snorkeling. I have a pair of mares now that do give me some leg cramps on occasion. anyway this might be something for you to look into too.

I see the Tusa Xpert Zoom is cheap everywhere, but that angled design seems like a issue when walking off the boat and read some negative reviews on them.

I own a pair of the Tusa Xpert Zooms, and these are great all around fins! The angled design really helps to alleviate leg cramps because you can keep your foot in a more normal position.

I will say that they are not great fins if you are swimming in a strong current.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom