best fins for wreck/cave diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you plan on doing any cave training your instructor is going to require a stiff, non-split fin. The ones most commonly in use are the SP Jets, Turtles or DIve Rites. I personnally use the Dive Rites and have been quite pleased with them. I have tried the jets on several occasions but go back to my dive rites. If you find that you are light of the feet the jets may be a better option as they are a little more negative in the water. As others have said SS Spring straps are a must also.

Personally I dont see why many complain so much about splitfins. The argument that you cant frog kick with them is a waste of time on me as I personally DO frogkick with them if I need to and I usually dive dry with a steel 15l 232 bar tank..

Maybe you can do a frog with them, and that's just fine. But split fins, at least in the cave, are a problem for 2 reasons.

1. Entanglement hazard. There are just certain times your fins are going to find their way near the line. And you do NOT want to get them caught in the line. I watched one of my buddies nearly rip the line out at Little River during the tie off when she let her fins drop, and her right fin went right into the line. I saw it, and held the line tight so that when she started off she didn't rip the line out. She fought it before I could grab her dang fin and stop her from pulling wildly.

2. Silting. Because split fins deflect during the power phase of the frog, they tend to direct some of their force downward unlike non-split fins. Thus stirring silt even when you are careful.

Given these issues, and the fact they tend to be more expensive, I can't see the rationale behind using them in overhead environments.

The question he asked was pertaining to a tech diver fin, cave and wreck, the answer is the fins I love to hate, there can be only one and The One is the ScubaPro Jetfin.

5610_1.jpg

N

I've had Jetfins and the Dive Rites and I prefer the Dive Rites. To me they seem like less mass to move around.

You "can" frog kick w/ any fin. You just can't do it as well as you can w/ a good strong paddle fin. Frog/ helicopter/ back kicking is much easier w/ a paddle than it is w/ a soft fin. Most split fins are softer so they flex more and you have less control. And there is a definite entanglement hazard w/ splits. I have seen, on more than one occassion, line get caught in the split. Since the OP is referencing wreck/cave diving, I would steer them away from splits because of this.
The entanglement issue does make a whole lot more sense than the "you cant do this or that kick effectively for sure". I can indeed see the problem of getting the line trapped in the split on the fins. Thanks.

I have little experience with splits but I can see why people are recomminding scubapro jets. I started diving with them two years ago and can not enjoy any other fin now. These are the most "no-nonsense" fins ever! Besides giving strong propulsion they give stability and control which I believe you would need in confined spaces.

Plus ... these are Jets look cool! They are the fins hollywood has always loved and that is why you see them in James Bond and Jaws movies :)

The entanglement issue does make a whole lot more sense than the "you cant do this or that kick effectively for sure". I can indeed see the problem of getting the line trapped in the split on the fins. Thanks.

Have you ever dove w/ paddles before? Ever tried to back kick w/ a soft fin? It is much, much easier to do the more advanced kicks with a paddle fin. I'm not saying it can't be done w/ other fins, but it is much easier.

As a newbie at this, I've found that the Jetfins are too heavy for me, and prefer the Dive Rites. If OMS ever makes the Slipstream in a smaller size, I'll try them--they're made of a similar material to the Dive Rite.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom