best fins for wreck/cave diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary McCullough IV

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This is a question for Wreck divers and cave divers. What fins do you use? and what are the best for not disturbing silt, besides proper swimming techniques?

There are several popular makes and models....a persl. choice for most of us.

What you want to stay away from is split fins and anything in a color other than black.

OMS SlipStreams,,,XS Scuba Turtles,,,Mares Quattros,,,Jet fins,,,Hollis fin, and a number of others work well. Many divers prefer shorter wider fin paddle, and of course a good set of spring straps are very helpful.

Practice several finning styles such as frog kick and modified frog, plus modified flutter....these are great finning methods for both wreck/cave. There are several others helpful also.
Dive Sites

If you can barrow a few different styles-brands to give some test dives on I would recommend that.

Hey guys, I've never figured this out--why does anyone care about the color???

I don't think it's so much the color as it is the composition. Fins with a lot of real rubber (black) tend to be stiffer, and snappier and make small movements easier. They also tend to be somewhat negative in the water, and are very durable.

Personally I dont see why many complain so much about splitfins. The argument that you cant frog kick with them is a waste of time on me as I personally DO frogkick with them if I need to and I usually dive dry with a steel 15l 232 bar tank..

I prefer XS Scuba Turtles.

Personally I dont see why many complain so much about splitfins. The argument that you cant frog kick with them is a waste of time on me as I personally DO frogkick with them if I need to and I usually dive dry with a steel 15l 232 bar tank..

You "can" frog kick w/ any fin. You just can't do it as well as you can w/ a good strong paddle fin. Frog/ helicopter/ back kicking is much easier w/ a paddle than it is w/ a soft fin. Most split fins are softer so they flex more and you have less control. And there is a definite entanglement hazard w/ splits. I have seen, on more than one occassion, line get caught in the split. Since the OP is referencing wreck/cave diving, I would steer them away from splits because of this.

Back
Top Bottom