Best fins for strong currents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmv-alp

Reaction score
While in Cozumel recently, I dove the northern reefs (Barracuda and San Juan) known for extremely strong currents. The dives were a blast. I have been using Atomic Split Fins for a year or so, and have really liked them. On this day, however, I felt like they were being overpowered by the strong current. The divemaster even commented that I would have had an easier time with different fins.

The question, of course, is which fins would be best for 3 knot currents? Thus far, I am contemplating Avanti Quattros, or maybe the Aqualung Blades II. The other people I was diving with that day were wearing Space Frogs. I haven't seen this topic addressed, so I would like to hear what others like. Please, no anti-split fin rants! :D

Not to go on an "Anti split fin" rant..but I love my SP Jets and a nice frog kick, gets me through most currents, and surges, with out any problems..

alp, your divemaster is mistaken. Why not read up on some of the Scubalab tests. A three mph current is fierce. I have seen, or felt, currents in this range off Cozumel so I'm not questioning it. However, you should be aware that some versions of the Atomic can produce thrust up to 30 lbs or 16.5 kg (depending on test arrangement) and a speed of 3 mph with full Scuba gear. This amount of thrust would just allow the diver to keep abreast of such a current, in other words, stationary.The idea that you are going to make headway in such a current with another type of fin is unrealistic, naive even. Various tests of the jetfin have shown thrust of 24 pounds or 15.5 kg depending on the technique and who did the test although recent tests of the XS powerfin (vented) show somewhat better results based on comparisons. IOW, fins are improving with an eye to catching up to the Atomic and the Apollo. Surpassing them is probably out of the questions based on physics as I understand it. In that vein, to head off any crackpot theories, the static thrust numbers correllate very closely to ultimate speed which suggests that water flow over the fin, such as current, will have little effect or make little difference in relative performance.

Hint: start to look for ways to reduce drag.

pescador775:
alp, your divemaster is mistaken. Why not read up on some of the Scubalab tests. A three mph current is fierce. I have seen, or felt, currents in this range off Cozumel so I'm not questioning it. However, you should be aware that some versions of the Atomic can produce thrust up to 30 lbs or 16.5 kg (depending on test arrangement) and a speed of 3 mph with full Scuba gear. This amount of thrust would just allow the diver to keep abreast of such a current, in other words, stationary.The idea that you are going to make headway in such a current with another type of fin is unrealistic, naive even. Various tests of the jetfin have shown thrust of 24 pounds or 15.5 kg depending on the technique and who did the test although recent tests of the XS powerfin (vented) show somewhat better results based on comparisons. IOW, fins are improving with an eye to catching up to the Atomic and the Apollo. Surpassing them is probably out of the questions based on physics as I understand it. In that vein, to head off any crackpot theories, the static thrust numbers correllate very closely to ultimate speed which suggests that water flow over the fin, such as current, will have little effect or make little difference in relative performance.

Hint: start to look for ways to reduce drag.

I doubt drag was much of an issue...I was using a Transpac/Venture wing and a weight belt, nothing attached at all, no exposure suit...the issue is not swimming into a 3 knot current, it is control, being where I want when I want, turning effectively, etc. As I stated in my original post, I think my Atomic splits are great, and I wouldn't trade them for any other fin EXCEPT I think they may (note the word may) not be best for ripping currents. Oh, and I have read the Scuba lab reports, using an appropriate number of grains of salt.

cbsaw:
Not to go on an "Anti split fin" rant..but I love my SP Jets and a nice frog kick, gets me through most currents, and surges, with out any problems..

I don't think liking Jets is necessarily anti anything, with or without a rant! Thanks for your input.

Try the carbon fiber free-diver fins. They're made for speed. Sid

I have to agree with cbsaw - I have tried to move on pass my SP Jets and I always go back to them.

nauifins73:
I have to agree with cbsaw - I have tried to move on pass my SP Jets and I always go back to them.

The Jet Fin has been around forever, with out any changes in style, for good reason.. and when used efficently they are the best fin on the market.. Nevermind the fact, that they are made from solid rubber and the sink, helping out with your trim.. Gotta love em...

Well, alp, you changed your story, obviously a troll. Gave a chance for the jet fin crowd to sound off. OK, fair enough.
Forget the blades II, they don't perform even as well as the original blades which means that they are fairly good, middle of the pack.
The quattros are powerful fins, actually better than the quattro "powers" which seem to fascinate some free divers. There is a price to pay, as with the jetfin. The Quattros are pretty stiff but if you dive every day they might be for you. About "control", the buzz word used by CARP (Cave and Rhetoric Project): the jetfin has never scored better than a "fair" in slalom tests. However, if you intend on doing some "helicopter" kicks over the Coz reefs, check out the jetfin. That's been a selling point.

hmv-alp:
As I stated in my original post, I think my Atomic splits are great, and I wouldn't trade them for any other fin EXCEPT I think they may (note the word may) not be best for ripping currents.
Did you maintain the split fin type of kick needed for splits to work best? If you respond to a current, or other need to go fast, by increasing the amplitude of your kick rather than the frequency, then it doesn't work. You need to keep your foot movement the same range or distance, but increase the speed.

Splits do well in all sorts of speed tests, so there is no reason why they shouldn't be the best in currents, other than our tendency to change the way we fin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom