Best fins for strong currents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pescador775:
Well, alp, you changed your story, obviously a troll. Gave a chance for the jet fin crowd to sound off. OK, fair enough.
Forget the blades II, they don't perform even as well as the original blades which means that they are fairly good, middle of the pack.
The quattros are powerful fins, actually better than the quattro "powers" which seem to fascinate some free divers. There is a price to pay, as with the jetfin. The Quattros are pretty stiff but if you dive every day they might be for you. About "control", the buzz word used by CARP (Cave and Rhetoric Project): the jetfin has never scored better than a "fair" in slalom tests. However, if you intend on doing some "helicopter" kicks over the Coz reefs, check out the jetfin. That's been a selling point.

You know, this is exactly why I don't post post very often. Your message is silly. Am I a troll because I use a Trans-pac? Or because I didn't insult or argue with someone who took the time to offer his opinion?

As for "changing my story", well...what changed? I can't try out 6 different fins, so asking for other peoples opinions seemed like an inoffensive thing to do. Guess I was wrong.

For the sake of clarity, I am a lurker, not a troll.

Charlie99:
Did you maintain the split fin type of kick needed for splits to work best? If you respond to a current, or other need to go fast, by increasing the amplitude of your kick rather than the frequency, then it doesn't work. You need to keep your foot movement the same range or distance, but increase the speed.

Splits do well in all sorts of speed tests, so there is no reason why they shouldn't be the best in currents, other than our tendency to change the way we fin.

Yes, I did keep the kick cycle short. These were my first 2 dives in current that strong, so I really don't have a frame of reference for guaging how the Atomics performed. It just felt like the fins weren't stiff enough, if that makes sense. Then afterwards, the divemaster suggested that I would find those dives easier in different fins. Maybe he is rabidly anti-split fin. All of this being said, the dives were a blast, and I would gladly do them again in my Atomics, or Jets, or Turtles, or whatever.

I have never dove split fins, but I do have experience with Jet Fins and Mares Quattros.

I dive many configurations and I split my time between SP Jet Fins I purchased new in 1979 and a pair of Mares Avanti Quattro fins I purchased about a year ago and I can say with great confidence that I make significantly more power using the flutter kick with my Quattros than I do with the Jet Fins. Could be related to technique, but I have been working with the Jet Fins for some time...

However, I find the Jet Fins more maneuverable and suprisingly powerful for their shorter length (but not near as powerful as the Quattros), and with certain gear configurations, the added weight of the JetFins is VERY handy. The natural black rubber of the Jet Fins marks up my pool, so I always dive the Quattros in the pool.

If I were to need to travel a good distance swimming into strong current, I would personally opt for the Quattros over the Jet Fins. I also use the Quattros to encourage a more head down position on some of my dives (close up hunting) although that can go to far (e.g. while wearing full 7mm wetsuit). The Jet Fins encourage a slightly foot down posture on my dives. Admittedly, I can get either posture from either fin, I just need to work more to maintain it with certain combinations.

I currently use Blade II's. I like them and they are stiff enough, however, they are too light, my feet keep floating up. I'm going to be buying a set of XS Power Fins, since they did very well in the thrust test and I've got a lot to push through the water. They are also on the heavy side so I'm hoping to kill two birds with one stone. I'm taking the AL's to Cancun next month and test drive them in the salt water. I think if you find a good LDS, just test drive a couple of models. Only you are going to make the determination what is right for you! :D

I recently bought a used Appolo Bio from my friend. I was amazed at the ease of use. The myth about limitations of the kick pattern for split are not true. Besides better efficiency kicking forward, I can move backward, and "modified" frog, and flutter, "modified" Heli kick, no problem. The key is this, most people misunderstood "kick" as really kicking in the water. Actually, I view it more like "caress" the water. Remember the "S" you do with your palm when you swim Freestyle? Why we do the "S" instead of straight push? Now if you understand the "S" concept, apply it using any fin. While one may have to change the way of kicking when changing to split, one can achieve the desire direction change forward, backward, hover, trim, position in swell for photo shots, either using the split and the traditional fin. It is how you understand the water and your manipulation of your fin while underwater that counts, not the limitation of the fin.

While swimming into current may not be the ideal solution is strong current situsation, as had mentioned earlier by other posts, but if you must, I find the Appolo Split to be more energy efficient. My surface swim and speed have increased much since changing from Quattros to Appolo Bio Split. So it may be a solution for you.

Veggie dog: your comments reflect some accurate observation. One point, and it has to do with head position. When travelling downstream there is a tendency for the current to cause a lifting force on the fins. It can cause the diver some discomfort as it feels like he is going to upend. This is less noticeable with a relatively heavy fin.

Alp, not once in your intro did you use the word "control" so you changed your story. Now, let's delve into the technology since we're supposed to be here to help newbies, not make fun of them, right? First of all, control is a separate issue from "power" (thrust). However, that is not a problem because we already have the results of speed and slalom(control) tests of many brands and models of fins. There is no open heel strap fin which has the level of control over a full foot, closed heel type. Referring to Scubalab and Divernet we know that freediver long fins have lousy control They are drivers, not putters. Continuing, we also know that the highest rated slalom fin ever tested is the Oceanic Caribe. Light weight and seemingly flimsy, this fin has tested to a flat out 3mph with full gear, as fast as the Atomic and 0.1 mph faster than the latest jetfins. The second best slalom fin is the Mares Avanti tre but which averaged 3.1 mph, as fast as the Apollo XT. Now, nobody who follows CARP and likes big black ugly fins is going to buy a sissy, Italian fin of elegant design, I know that, no problemo. Your "divemaster" would snicker, that's for sure. Cavers would guffaw. Yet, these two FF fins will outperform anything they've got. Like aircraft design, "if it looks right, it will fly right".

SP Jet for me! Never have problem fighting currents. Was once in a current help dragging 1 other diver (on splits) and push another diver (on splits also) forward as they have difficulties fighting against it. (Ended up having to share breath their tank in the final part of the dive making safety stop.)

Tried a pair of Atomic Aquatic Splits once and didn't like it. But could be due to the fact I am so used to hard rubber fins. Can't get use to having to make short and fast flutter kicks. Not trying to say that splits are inferior as they are appreciate for some reason. Just not what I preferred.

GUE and DIR, that's impressive wunat. They (DIR o' DIR) call me "stroke", I call them CARP's (Cave Association for Rhetoric and Propaganda). Here, the carp is known as a bottom feeder. We don't eat'em like y'all.

Back
Top Bottom