Best fins for long surface swims

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pvb

New
Reaction score
Hello,

I am doing a island-to-island race in a few weeks and am looking for a good pair of fins for the 20+ swimming sections. It must be open heel fins since I want to wear my running shoes in the fins (this will save a lot of time on the 40+ transitions.

So far I have tried both the Force Fins as well as a pair of Seawing Nova from Scubapro. Both of these fins seem much too stiff for these long swims (total of 7 miles).

I have also tried a cheap ($20) pair of snorkel fins (not open heel) and these perform far better than the above. It seems that I need something like the cheap snorkel fins, but with an open heel design.

Any suggestions?

Peter

Aeris Veloicity and ScubaPro Jets have both been good for me when swimming out for shore dives.

I am neither a long distance runner nor a great swimmer, but I dare to guess that your plan of using fins with running shoes and running in wet shoes is likely to create the worst blister nightmare imaginable.

Open heel......

:popcorn:

Chug

which Force Fins do you have?? The Original is really a very good distance swimming fin and your going to be hard pressed to find another fin that is more flexible than that, although I prefer the Pro I do many miles a week on the surface with them.

I am not even sure which model I have. They were bought about 12 years ago. I think they were brand new on the market then. They are all black with a webbing cinch strap behind the heel that has a piece of foam around it.

I have been very pleased with these fins for diving, however for distance swimming they just didn't seem to measure up. I think they may be too stiff for this?

Peter

P.S. Blisters is always part of the equation for these ultra events. Wet shoes will not make much of a difference.

if you want to "swim", meaning with a really high kick rate, the Rip Force is a great fin, its got a good flex, good stiffness, they are super short and maneuverable. Of course the Slim Fin isn't a bad choice either but won't give the feedback the Rip Force will.

You should be able to look at the tag on the fin strap assuming its still there, it will be held on by one of the screws holding the strap on. If its a Pro model it will say "Pro" otherwise its a Original.

As for shoes, have you looked into the OTB boots, I don't know if they make one appropriate for your event, but at least they dry really quick, specially if you were a thin wool sock your feet will be dry in a matter on minutes.

I don't know the difference between split fins and blade fins but I do want to say that what you're doing sounds very cool.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom