Best Fins for leg cramps AND dealing with current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Camero is a heavy duty highpower diving fin with an angled foot pocket that is designed to prevent foot cramps. Becauseof its side flex bars, it is able to move you swiftly through rough currents. Be sure to rule out any other issues, like lack of strength in muscles (loved the toilet trick) or even lack of good nutrition (eat those bananas!).

I am looking to possibly replace my current fins (Apollo BioFins). I have been having leg cramps almost every dive. I also struggle in current others can deal with more easily. I can't seem to get my leg strength up (have always had trouble with stairs/ladders esp with gear on -- have to use my arms mostly). With these limitations, any suggestions on a better choice for fins or do I have the best option?

I'd suggest seeing a doctor and getting to the root of the problem and fixing it.

If you have something that can't be fixed, I'd suggest a really good scooter, not a toy scooter.

There is no fin in the world that's going to make swimming into a current easy, there are only variations on how difficult it is.

Thanks for all the warm thoughts. I am about 5 weeks out from a L2/3 laminectomy with a 1cm tumor removed from my spinal cord. I start physical therapy next week

Cool! I missed that part. Glad you got it fixed!

If you're still having problems after surgery and PT, I'd still suggest easier dives and/or a really good scooter.

flots.

Last edited:
HI All,
I'm now about 8 weeks out from surgery and doing physical therapy to strengthen my core muscles. I've already noticed a large difference in general leg strength and I have just started being able to exercise -- swimming in the pool, mild cardio, etc. I am very curious whether the leg cramps will be gone once I start diving again -- I am really hoping so since they had been getting progressively worse (likely as my tumor progressively increased and pushed on the nerves going to my legs!!!). I won't be diving until our trip in November to Lembeh so will give an update after that. I do appreciate all the advice and general well-wishes. Thanks.

HI All,
Thought I'd give an update. Just dove 9 days at KBR in Lembeh -- 21 dives total - Not a single leg cramp using my original biofins!! (a bit of back spasms on and off but I am only 4 months out from my back surgery so can't complain.) Will try to put a trip report up in the Indonesia site when we get home (but saw it all -- blue rings, mimics, wonderpus, hairy frog fish, painted frog fish, cuttle fish including flamboyant, pygmy and regular sea horses, star gazers, etc!) So nice to not be limited by weak legs. Thanks all for your support.

Back
Top Bottom