Best Fins for leg cramps AND dealing with current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am looking to possibly replace my current fins (Apollo BioFins). I have been having leg cramps almost every dive. I also struggle in current others can deal with more easily. I can't seem to get my leg strength up (have always had trouble with stairs/ladders esp with gear on -- have to use my arms mostly). With these limitations, any suggestions on a better choice for fins or do I have the best option?

Look into the monofins produced by www.SmithAerospace.US as they are designed with the solution to your problems in mind. They have an older (Dol-Fin Classic) design specific for SCUBA but are about to introduce the X-15 as a new SCUBA fin. Most of the video will show free diving but, contrary to public opinion, the monofin Dol-Fin design does work for SCUBA also.

I assume that you travel for your dives as the current in Lake Tahoe is limited. The Dol-Fin travels nicely and is a semi substitute for a DPV performance wise. Let us know what you think as these fins are not well known in the diving community but IMO they are somewhat revolutionary.

Finning doesn't really require strength, as in squatting with weights. Endurance is more important. The best way to develop finning muscles is to swim with fins. If you only swim or dive a few times a year, you're finning muscles are out of shape. Use fins in a pool and swim laps once a week.

I agree with gaijin (sp?) on the free diving fins. I free dive more than I scuba now but if I put on scuba fins, it feels like I'm barefoot.

I am looking to possibly replace my current fins (Apollo BioFins). I have been having leg cramps almost every dive. I also struggle in current others can deal with more easily. I can't seem to get my leg strength up (have always had trouble with stairs/ladders esp with gear on -- have to use my arms mostly). With these limitations, any suggestions on a better choice for fins or do I have the best option?

Mr. Obvious: "Stop diving into the current and go slower."

If you're with a DM, explain that you'll not be fining against the current to see his pet critter and if he wants a tip, he'll make this an easy dive.

flots.

edit: Feel free to hand up your weights to the boat crew. That will be good for 10-20 lbs

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it. Looks like the problem was a bit more complicated than I had hoped -- going to have neurosurgery on the spinal cord tumor they found causing my leg weakness -- hopefully some of the strength will come back and my fin choice won't matter as much.

Whoa . . . best to you on your recovery. Please keep us posted.

Wow... that is quite a explanation for the challenges you were having! Sincere best wishes for a successful surgery and quick recovery.

Thanks for all the warm thoughts. I am about 5 weeks out from a L2/3 laminectomy with a 1cm tumor removed from my spinal cord. I start physical therapy next week and have an exciting trip to Lembeh scheduled for November that we are still planning for. I am hoping my leg strength improves now that a tumor isnt occupying two thirds of the space for the nerves!!! It is amazing that I probably would not have found this tumor for several years if it hadn't been for diving. It is there that I really noticed the deficits increasing (even though they were relatively mild). The leg cramps, the difficulty climbing the ladders with gear on were getting more noticeable. The weakness in everyday life was just too mild to not justify as "getting older" or just being out of shape. So one more benefit of scuba diving -- early tumor diagnosis!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom