Best Fin for Snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my opinion, this is the future...

[video=youtube;SbNwVT-eZaI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbNwVT-eZaI[/video]

Of the videos with force fins or split fins or any other bi-fin, you just don't see divers moving through the water like this. I think the hydrofoil monofin is a revolutionary piece of kit. It even works with scuba equipment! Check it out:

[video=youtube;Kr4vUrCWuXg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr4vUrCWuXg[/video]

in my opinion, this is the future...

[video=youtube;sbnwvt-ezai]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbnwvt-ezai[/video]

of the videos with force fins or split fins or any other bi-fin, you just don't see divers moving through the water like this. I think the hydrofoil monofin is a revolutionary piece of kit. It even works with scuba equipment! Check it out:

[video=youtube;kr4vurcwuxg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr4vurcwuxg[/video]
i want one!!!!!

It is just me, and this is what I BELIEVE. As to the insults....what Insults? It is well known that Force Fin had the split concept long before the other spit concepts....and how is describing the truth about Print magazines or DEMA related to an insult. ? I don't think the print magazines have enough ethics to be insulted...same with dema :)
Are you familiar with the nonsense that DEMA tried to pull with a special Fort Lauderdale show ? The nonsense they were almost lynched over?

Again...I hope I did not insult any SB readers....that was not my intention...my intention was to HELP as many SB members as possible with something critically important to many.

I don't need Dan to make any points for me. If there is something that needs to be said on this issue at this late date, I can say it directly, just as we did back then. Better yet, I'm off to Hawaii to enjoy my Force Fins, snorkeling warm water. Susanne will be wearing her Slim Fins Force Fin Slim Fin - Back in Stock!!! and I'll be wearing mine with their Adjustable Foot Pocket Force Fin Slim Fin - Adjustable Love, Bob

---------- Post added September 17th, 2013 at 09:50 PM ----------

OMG .....my god after viewing the mono fin footage my back hurt. If you pump like that while holding your feet on a flat plane, its not going to take long to need lumbar surgery.... I guess it is time to bring out my mono fin that allows you to fly through the water like a manta ray, and responds with your body to allow your feet to turn in and outward to relieve that pressure on your lower back.

Why is it that divers, who pride in immersing in a 3-dimensional environment don't get it. A flat fin of any size or configuration is really, really, really, bad....

Flat Fins VS Force Fins - YouTube

[video=youtube;shQVnMkuU5I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shQVnMkuU5I&feature=share&list=UUvhYeQ6hYp tVuhgamaN717g[/video]

Back on this copy cat stuff.... how many years after we at Force Fin introduced it did it take Mares, now on the tails of Scubapro to adopt the Bungie Heel Strap?

...A flat fin of any size or configuration is really, really, really, bad....

Marlin, tuna and dolphin all seam to disagree with you on this statement, as would two national dynamic records already set with DOL-Fin monofins. A quick look at nature will overwhelmingly show that the really, really, really bad idea is bi-fins. The marine animals that have two fins, all use them together as though they were one. I cannot think of a single example of a marine creature that bi-fins.

...my god after viewing the mono fin footage my back hurt. If you pump like that while holding your feet on a flat plane, its not going to take long to need lumbar surgery...

The DOL-Fin monofins are renowned for their comfort. Those who have tried it have been shocked at how excellent the fin feels, natural and organic. Read the independent reviews that are online. You'll see. :cool2:

That was a cool video. The diver is so good, it is a little hard to relate, but it definitely looks like a lot of fun.

One of the advantages of a normal (full foot) freedive fin is that it is much less likely to get tangled with fishing line etc. Any kind of heel strap and buckle can be a magnet for lines getting caught.

That articulating mono-blade... would that be prone to entanglement?

That was a cool video. The diver is so good, it is a little hard to relate, but it definitely looks like a lot of fun.

One of the advantages of a normal (full foot) freedive fin is that it is much less likely to get tangled with fishing line etc. Any kind of heel strap and buckle can be a magnet for lines getting caught.

That articulating mono-blade... would that be prone to entanglement?

These fins don't have the buckle strap to catch weeds and other things, so that is not an issue. The fin blade itself is capable of catching things along it's length as you can imagine from looking at it. But, it is also very smooth. I have been swimming in areas with a lot of weeds and for the most part I swim ignoring that the fin is back there. Usually nothing happens, but if I feel that something has gotten caught on the foil, I give it a little side to side wiggle and it slides off the ends of the fin blade. So, I have not found it to be a big issue, but it depends on what you are wanting to do. This would not be an appropriate piece of kit if you are wanting to go rooting around deeply immersed down in thick weeds. However, swimming around them, hunting and such has been fine. Keep in mind that it is designed for cruising around, not rooting around.

For me, I like having different fins for different needs....like golf clubs :)
I can see using the X 15's for long ranging cruise dives over some of our long reef lines, and even for some of our wreck dives where the plan is to shoot video around the outside of the wreck, mix with the marine life, and for some dives that might have required a scooter. We do have issues on some of our Palm Beach dives, where multiple surface to bottom currents dictate that the captain says Dive..Dive..Dive, and you are in the water in the millisecond you hear this, and 20 feet down and accelerating 2 seconds later.... I don't know enough about the X 15 to know whether the getting into the water is slow or fast. I am sure there is a way to deal with this in any event.

I still think for serious wreck penetration dives, I will use the Excellerating Force Fins....and for technical reef cruises, I will always like my Dive R's...but...there will be lots of room for experimenting with something as evolutionary as the X-15 !!! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom