Best dual bladder wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So it all boils down to where you are going to dive, and if you only ever dive in cold water then a single bladder is OK, which makes sense.
But what happens if you decide to dive in warm waters & only have a single bladder, do you dive in a dry suit to give you the redundancy?

Shoehorn,
That's the idea. It is a rare thing to see someone here diving dry, even in the winter. I may try it this winter on tech dives or night dives, but doubt I will use the drysuit other than that..
I have some info for you I'll shoot over in a PM.
Safe Dives
Charlie

Thanks Charlie, got it and replied. :)

So it all boils down to where you are going to dive, and if you only ever dive in cold water then a single bladder is OK, which makes sense.
But what happens if you decide to dive in warm waters & only have a single bladder, do you dive in a dry suit to give you the redundancy?

I suppose I could always just dive dry even out here. Its not necessary as far as a comfort or thermal thing, but at least if I wore my drysuit I wouldn't have to change. :)

GUE doesnt promote diving without backup buancy.A dry suit is their answer.I only dive wet,so I have a D.R dual rec wing and love it.It can be used with a single tank[with bungee]or doubles which is 99% of my dives.I only run 1 inflator hose as well and can connect it to the backup corregated inflator in a jiffy.

Yeah diving dry in 86 degree water is kind of a pain. You might also look at Deep Outdoors for a dbl bladder or you can always just use 2 singles. Just make sure you always leave 1 inflator off and just hook it up if you need it.

...Just make sure you always leave 1 inflator off and just hook it up if you need it.

Why?

If diving doubles why not just put one on each post?

What is the reason they only make them single?

The whole tec diving and diving with a wing is new to me (the reason I've only dove with a Halcyon wing, I haven't had the opportunity to try any other brands). The person I spoke with today about getting into tec diving mentioned that a dual bladder wing is pretty much a must have for tec diving, so I figure if I am going to start diving a wing and get into tec diving down the road, I might as well get a brand that I can continue to use if I get into tec diving.

So, basically my question is, does Halcyon make a dual bladder wing? And if not, why? What are the advantages and disadvantages of a dual bladder wing?

Halcyon wings have a flange that goes under the zipper to prevent salt/sand from getting in there and wearing at the bladder, so the risk of it not working is greatly lowered.

Not sure on the dual bladder issue, for me, it's simplicity. Diving dry is more comfortable, so I stick to what works, and don't need the dual bladder.

Why?

If diving doubles why not just put one on each post?

Accidentally bumping an inflater, and not knowing what one to dump from could cause a serious DCS hit in my mind.

I suppose I could always just dive dry even out here. Its not necessary as far as a comfort or thermal thing, but at least if I wore my drysuit I wouldn't have to change. :)
Just don't forget drysuit squeeze. If you don't see where I'm going with this, think about a steel zipper on shorts, and what's behind it that's gonna get squeezed.

If an accidental bump is the only concern about having both bladders connected I'm going to continue putting one on one post and the other on the other post. It would take one whopping bump at exactly the correct angle to put any significant amount of air in either bladder.

....IMHO, the Oxycheq dual bladder wings are the best! I've got the 57 lbs Vertex donut one......dual bladders plus their special 'armored' outer fabric make for one heck of a durable/puncture proof/redundant wing....plus the donut aircells prevent air-trapping. Admittedly their not cheap ( $ 700 ) but you get what you pay for...and if it saves your life only once, it was worth the $ !

...my prior dual wing (not in my spare parts bin) is a DiveRite Dual Rec wing.....also a quality product..I retired it as I wanted the 'armored' fabric and the donut aircell, neither of which the DR wing has.

Karl

On my setup I have one inflator on each post. The right hand tank connects to the left inflator & vice versa.
The right inflator is left unconnected at the quick disconnect, but is held there with surgical tape so is available if required.

The reason for only having 1 inflator connected is so that if the inflator button sticks & starts to fill the bladder I know which one is causing me the problem & which deflator button to press to remove the excess air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom