Best dual bladder wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shoehorn!

Registered
Reaction score
So, I still haven't decided which wing I want to get. I pretty much had my mind made up on Halcyon, until I went into a dive shop today and started talking to the guy about tec diving. I might get into that down the line, and he was saying that a dual bladder wing was pretty much necessary.

So, my question is, does Halcyon make a dual bladder wing?

Yes I checked the website and didn't find anything specific on it, and I did a search as well with the same outcome.

Anyone who knows I would appreciate it. :)

Shoehorn,
I take it you are looking for a wing for doubles? I use the Dive Rite dual bladder, and know several people who use the OMS. They are both good wings, and if you look in the classifieds here on the board you may find one used at a reasonable cost. I think I paid $200.00 for mine, and it was in like new condition. I don't know much about the Halcyon stuff, but the folks I know who use that really like it as well.
If you have any more questions, post or PM me.
Safe Dives
Charlie

Shoehorn,
I take it you are looking for a wing for doubles? I use the Dive Rite dual bladder, and know several people who use the OMS. They are both good wings, and if you look in the classifieds here on the board you may find one used at a reasonable cost. I think I paid $200.00 for mine, and it was in like new condition. I don't know much about the Halcyon stuff, but the folks I know who use that really like it as well.
If you have any more questions, post or PM me.
Safe Dives
Charlie

Hey Charlie, yeah I eventually want to get into tec and diving with doubles. I've dove Halcyon wings (the only brand I've dove), and I really like them. I'd like to get a Halcyon setup, but if they don't have dual bladder wings then I might have to reconsider.

Hey Charlie, yeah I eventually want to get into tec and diving with doubles. I've dove Halcyon wings (the only brand I've dove), and I really like them. I'd like to get a Halcyon setup, but if they don't have dual bladder wings then I might have to reconsider.

You have only used Halcyon but "Know" they are not what you want if they only have single bladders?

Halcyon makes them single for a reason.

What reason do you have to desire a double?

Just askin...

You have only used Halcyon but "Know" they are not what you want if they only have single bladders?

Halcyon makes them single for a reason.

What reason do you have to desire a double?

Just askin...

What is the reason they only make them single?

The whole tec diving and diving with a wing is new to me (the reason I've only dove with a Halcyon wing, I haven't had the opportunity to try any other brands). The person I spoke with today about getting into tec diving mentioned that a dual bladder wing is pretty much a must have for tec diving, so I figure if I am going to start diving a wing and get into tec diving down the road, I might as well get a brand that I can continue to use if I get into tec diving.

So, basically my question is, does Halcyon make a dual bladder wing? And if not, why? What are the advantages and disadvantages of a dual bladder wing?

I dive with OMS Dual bladder wings, and find them very good, My friends dive with Dive rite and rave about them also.
I was told when I took up tec diving that dual bladder was essential, as backup, ie one bladder fails, you can connect up the other inflator & still use the wings to complete deco, without having to fin to maintain depth.
I know that Halcyon dont go down this road, but nobody has never explained the reason to me.
Diving with twin inflators I still only connect one up, that way if there is a problem I know which inflator is causing the problem & can either fix it, or simply remove it & connect the other inflator, which makes sense to me.

Shoehorn,
The reason you find people here using/advising dual bladders is that we dive wet year round. Without a drysuit for redundant buoyancy, a bladder failure at depth leaves you to swim the rig up and maintain stops while swimming. You will find that many of the folks on this board think that tech diving wet is a no no. Many flames to follow I'm sure.
Safe Dives
Charlie

Shoehorn,
You will find that many of the folks on this board think that tech diving wet is a no no.
Safe Dives
Charlie

Ah, so there it is.

Is it safe to assume that if you're wearing a drysuit that a single bladder will be fine, since you can just inflate the drysuit to ascend/maintain bouyancy?

Shoehorn,
That's the idea. It is a rare thing to see someone here diving dry, even in the winter. I may try it this winter on tech dives or night dives, but doubt I will use the drysuit other than that..
I have some info for you I'll shoot over in a PM.
Safe Dives
Charlie

Back
Top Bottom