Best drysuit fit for women

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cold diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK this is probably an ignorant question because everyone is a different shape/size, but who has the best range of stock sizes for women in drysuits, or do most of the women on here just go for the custom job?

It really depends on what size you are. Many drysuit companies make women's suits, in women's sizes. Most drysuit sizes are 6-14 only.

I have owned 3 different custom suits (I am a women's size 18) and dove about 10 suits that are off the rack. (men's sizes) The more shapely you are, the more you need a women's cut suit. I have found that a custom suit fits so much better, and doesn't allow for trapped air. Managing a bubble in a custom suit is much easier as well.

The best fitting suit for a women I have seen in a long time is the Fusion, by Whites. There are several threads on this page that talks about this suit. Every single woman that has tried on this suit, it fits them perfectly, and it also looks very feminine. I have sold several of the suits, to men and women and are great for diving in the Pacific Northwest. A custom cut isn't necessary with this suit, and when you see it, you will understand why.

Here is a link........ http://www.whitesdiving.com/index.php?site=4&id=104&cid=537

I've had 2 dry suits so far. The first was a White's Catalyst that was a stock size. While a very well built suit, it was quite long in the limbs (caused extra drag in the water) & a bit tight around the middle. I never could get very thick undergarments under it. I'm 5'6" & about 200lbs (short & stout). I then got a fully customized DUI TLS 350 (it was actually a little bit cheaper than the White's). It fits me perfectly even with very thick undergarments. I now firmly believe the little extra you pay for customization is well worth it, unless you are of "cookie cutter" proportions. The question is are you willing to pay a bit more for comfort?

For a woman I am probably exactly the size of an average American guy... Unfortunately, I am not shaped like a guy, so when I tried on guys rack drysuits I had plenty of sizes that seemed "right" but ended up feeling all wrong. Too tight on the hips and bunching all over the shoulders in most cases, often way too much fabric around belly too. The extra material around shoulders/armpits especially in thicker (neo) or stiffer (like cordura, DUI's CLX type) drysuits would be uncomfortable when it squeezes in wrinkles onto you.

DUI is one who pays a lot of attention to women's needs I am told. I tried their sizes and was fairly happy with their rack sizes. I got a great deal with custom job though and went with that. I am happy how mine was done. I know women who dive Bare too and seem to be happy, a lot of the ones I know are pretty skinny though but that might just be a co-incidence. I have not tried Bare. After having a custom suit it will be pretty hard to twist my arm to go back to a rack suit. At first I could have considered but having compared to a personal cut it would be hard to accept the compromise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom