Best diving in USA poll

Which place in USA has the best overall diving?

• Florida

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • North Carolina

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • California

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • Washington / North Western USA

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Hawaii

Votes: 22 15.3%
  • Great Lakes areas

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Texas

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Other (not mentioned)

Votes: 9 6.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not having umlimited funds I have not been to all of the places on the poll. Been to Monterey and loved the kelp diving, Great Lakes and even though they are cold it;s hard to compete with 100+yr old wreck that is still intact and be able to navigate around it without a light at 150 feet and still have 20-30 feet of vis. Or be on one at 110 and the water be literally as clear as Ginnie Springs (just one time like that but it was great). Did the springs and a cavern but no caves yet. Many dives in the keys and loved them all. Cruising around a quarry in Ohio last July with my scooter and two good friends is hard to beat. Hope to make the Outer Banks this year somehow. And just getting wet after a rough day at work in a local lake by myself can be a blessing in itself.

I have come to the conclusion and try to pass this on to my students that it really is not where you go. It's what you do when you are there and what your expectations are. If I'm really itching for great wrecks Bonaire will be a disappointment. In part because of limited resources but also out of a genuine desire to see the sport grow and survive in this economy I focus very little on dive travel in my classes. I have tried and in fact succeeded in getting my students excited over bluegills, catfish, and old boats in a quarry. They are so jazzed about just being underwater and functioning and feeling competent about what they are doing that it doesn't matter that there is no Atocha, no school of hammerheads, and a common box turtle is cause for celebration.

There is joy in being with the family in an activity that brings them all together in a common interest. And they don't have to travel more than an hour to do it. So where is the best diving in the USA. Well the simple answer is right in your own backyard if you choose to make it there. Read the chapter on local diving in my book. You'll see that there are many benefits to an attitude like it describes. Not just to you but to the entire industry as a whole.

Wouldn't "best" be a subjective choice based upon what type of diving you like to do?

Wrecks?
Caves?
Warm water only?

I have only dived in Hawaii, so far, but I highly recommend it. That said, I think every place on your list would be phenomenal, for its own reasons. Florida has warm water and big reefs. California has amazing kelp forests and some pretty cool underwater life not seen elsewhere. The entire eastern seaboard has more wrecks than you could visit in a lifetime of diving. I don't know what Texas has, but I'll assume the Gulf has a lot to offer since people like diving there so much.

The best place to dive, for me, is the place I am diving at that particular moment. That said, I'd like to experience more of those places...

From 1990 to 2009, I have had the opportunity to dive Monterey, Carmel, San Diego, Ventura, Anacapa, Channel Islands and Avalon, Catalina. The cold water, shore entries and exits, boat dives, thick kelp and interaction with large ocean animals offered true adventures and unique experiences for me and my many dive buddies made during that journey.

During that same time period, I dove Maui, Oahu, The Big Island, Lania, and Molokini sites. Warmer waters, lots of wrecks off Oahu, Mantas off the Big Island. Again a unique dive experience for that region.

April 2009 to the present, I relocated to Tampa, Fl. I have dove numerous warm water sites in the gulf out of Cleartwater, Tarpon Springs, Hudson, Blue Groto, Devil's Den, Paradise Springs, Jupiter, West Palm Beach Inlets, and Key Largo. Again making new dive buddies along the way and enjoying the best experience diving can offer. Again, a unique experience.

With all this said, I find California diving to offer the BEST. If you dive California cold waters, shore/boat diving, with the sun beaming through, throw in the thick kelp, as you roll over to look up, it is a breath taking sight to behold, oh, add cold weather. There is some truth to the saying "if you get certified in California, that training prepares you to dive in most parts of our world". Dive safe and Happy Holidays to everyone.

:):):):):):)

For the most part, wherever I am diving it is a good thing. I have dove in both Florida and Hawaii in the last year, loved them both, but they were very different dives.

I am highly bias being a lifelong Floridian. That said, the sheer amount of different reef diving available here so close to shore [with nice warm water] along with the inland cave system and amazing wrecks makes this #1, IMHO.

More dive opportunities in Florida than anywhere. You have reefs, wrecks, caves and springs and rivers and lakes.You can dive all year and never miss a dive due to rough seas, or rain. There is always a place to go thats diveable. Where else in the world can you go and see manatee and springs one day and sharks and tropical fish the next??

Last edited:
That's like asking what's the best fruit ... apples, oranges, bananas, grapes or mangos ... depends on what you like.

I love the easy access and varied marine life in the northwest ... but we don't have any caves, and our wrecks tend to be deep and silty.

I love the abundant life and kelp forests of California ... but there's a lot of surge and shore dives usually involve surf zones and long surface swims.

I love the caves in Florida ... but they don't offer much to look at besides wet rocks.

I love the easy access and diving conditions of Maui ... but frankly they don't have either the variety or abundance of marine life you'll find along the west coast of the mainland USA and Canada.

Haven't been to the other places you mentioned, but as with the others they offer some things better than other places, and other things that aren't quite as good.

"Best" is probably the wrong term to choose ... "favorite" might be a more meaningful question to ask ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As a marine biologist, I like diving salt water almost anywhere it exists. I've dived from the tropics to temperate waters (no polar regions yet). IMHO nothing can beat the kelp forests of California... but then I'm a kelp forest ecologist. However, as I "mature" my aging bones are tempted by warmer waters and I may have to become a coral reef ecologist.

I haven't dived salt water in Florida yet, but I'll be better able to judge at the end of February!

My first 20 dives out of OW were in Florida outside of Pompano Beach. I thought it was absolutely amazing the number of wrecks and reefs you could so easily hit within a 20 minute boat ride. Conditions and viz was awesome. I've been very much trying to find a way to get back to Florida and dive again. Too many places to go in this world, and not enough time... Have a great time in Florida!

Tough toss up for me between California and Florida. Whenever I go warm water diving, I always endup missing the cooler water diving of California. In California, both beach and boat diving are so easily acccessible. That being said, I might give an edge out to Florida only because it hasn't been accessible for me personally, and I have been yearning to get back somehow. Would love to try diving the Keys and the caves one day.

I am extremely disappointed that you don't list New England and NY/NJ. Your poll is already biased.

Diving in New England especially Maine and Massachusetts is just out of this world!! I love to travel and try different locations, I still want to live and dive the ocean waters in Massachusetts.

NY/NJ are the wreck diving capitals of the US (if not the world) and I wonder why you omitted them from your poll.

We are blessed to be in the US and have all of these different locations/environments to dive in one country.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom