Best diving in USA poll

Which place in USA has the best overall diving?

• Florida

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • North Carolina

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • California

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • Washington / North Western USA

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Hawaii

Votes: 22 15.3%
  • Great Lakes areas

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Texas

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Other (not mentioned)

Votes: 9 6.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless you go to a few select, expensive locations, the diving in CA is way over-rated. It is drysuit cold, the surf entries stink, the visibility is usually atrocious, its very expensive to visit here, there are very few lakes, and the currents can be nasty at times.

Florida on the other hand has warm water, the viz was usually very good, there was tons of marine life, cavern and cave diving is world famous, and it was less expensive to dive there than CA.

Last edited:
Burhan - Ya Akhi

What did you see in New England, Maine and Massachusetts that would make you vote for these ABOVE the places that I listed?

I ask because my wife is from that area. I meet her diver friends and they are the least excited about diving in their area. They tell me that you get 2 feet of viz so it is not worth the trouble. I was just curious what makes that area better than FL, CA and all these places? If you could give me some insights I might be tempted to take my dive gear next time we are visiting my inlaws.

I of course pick NC, being in Va. it makes it easy to get to some real historic wrecks, large sealife that is as natural as it gets. No feeding here.
I like diving in the Labrador current of Va. & points Further north, but the limited vis on most occasions drops them down a notch.
Great Lakes are way cool. Still need to get back there & do some of the deeper stuff.
I loved Florida, warm clear water within a quick boat ride, but artificial wrecks just don't hold the same affect.
Been in a few springs & plan on Cave early this spring to round out my education.
But NC has my heart & swimming with 50+ Sandtiger Sharks as free & natural as God intended is things dreams are made of.

Sinbad,

I am originally from Libya as you probably guessed. I moved to the US when I was 17 in 81. I fell in love with diving in New England from the first time I dove there in 84 (I had done LOTS of diving in Libya prior to going to the US). I even rented a house on the water with friends of mine in the Cape Ann area during the summers just to dive EVERY day. I love the marine life, underwater rock formations and the challenge in addition to the "New England" atmosphere. Visibility is not always what it is in the tropics but it doesn't matter, marine life is fantastic. I am sitting in Tripoli, Libya, now but I am dreaming about going back to Boston to dive there.

You should dive there if you have the chance. You need to dive with somebody who knows the area and to make sure that you are diving when the conditions are right (currents, tide). If you are close to the Cape Ann area, get in touch with Cape Ann Divers. They are good people and run guided shore dives in addition to their boat charters.

If you will be there in the summer time, I'd love to go diving with you if and when I am back there!!

Burhan - Ya Akhi

What did you see in New England, Maine and Massachusetts that would make you vote for these ABOVE the places that I listed?

I ask because my wife is from that area. I meet her diver friends and they are the least excited about diving in their area. They tell me that you get 2 feet of viz so it is not worth the trouble. I was just curious what makes that area better than FL, CA and all these places? If you could give me some insights I might be tempted to take my dive gear next time we are visiting my inlaws.

I would take the gear, especially if you are into wrecks, bring your drysuit.:D
I have family in Mass. & Maine, last time I went up I asked on the local forum & got that same line, not worth doing.
I now know they were WWW divers & were not of my mindset.
I also went to BTS 2 years ago & sat in on a seminar that was on the shore diving of Maine, got me smoking mad that I had the chance to do it & couldn't. The pictures were un freakin believable.
Next time I go I will be bringing everything I own.

For me I had to choose between FL and CA.
Florida Keys has warm comfy diving (no wetsuit needed) with coral and lots of fish, wrecks and pretty decent critters. California has colder diving (drysuit recommended) but with an explosion of color, playful seals / sea lions and a much more 3 dimensional environment (kelp forests).
California edges out Florida because of it's beauty, but you know, I'll do both again and probably head first to the reefs off of Boynton Beach and I'll love that the water is warm!
If you had made this North America and included Vancouver Island in the list, I would have picked that!

Oh yeah New England diving. I'm here and have had some great dives here .. but it's not on the same level as California if you are not into wrecks.

Last edited:
Huge oversight not to include Guam. Spectacular diving. USVI is pretty decent too.

The difference in the U/W environment between Maine, North Shore (North of Boston), South Shore (South of Boston), Rhode Island is just amazing. I usually start diving in Spring in Rhode Island and work my way up the cost as the season progresses.

What beautiful memories!! When my son goes to college in about a year, it will be a good excuse to spend more time in Boston and go diving there. I just can't wait.

BTW, the 20lb lobster shown in my profile picture was caught right next to the Chester Polling Wreck in Gloucester, Cape Ann MA.

I agree with NWGD. It is not best-just favorite. For me, my favorite diving is home waters off Point Lobos, the great North Coast of CA. and nice boat trips to the Channel Islands and Mexico.

The Kelp forests are, for me, the best diving of all.

I've been in the Caymans, and Cozumel, Hawaii, Japan, diving off both coasts off Florida, having a great time topside and below in the keys and off West Palm, NJ and NY and out of Gloucester, MA. The Bahama Islands were also lots of fun.

It is all great. There is always something more to explore. I have never been diving in the Red Sea, Indonesia, Truk Lagoon, etc.

We are all very fortunate to be among the small percentage of folks who ever get below the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom