Best diving in the state

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdxgal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all. Kind of a basic question. I have been getting kind of overwhelmed trying to figure out where to go in Florida. Where is the best place in the state for diving? My husband has been diving in Saba and Hawaii, but that's it, so it would have to be a pretty easy dive.

He's interested in shark teeth and I'm interested in wrecks (no penetration, probably, though). Neither of us really love night dives.

The Venice area for teeth on the SW coast south of Tampa/St. Pete. - much of this sub-forum is about it. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/venice-fossil-divers/ Longboat and Siesta Key(s) are also exceedingly nice on the surface - just not good for diving since the beach is flat and shallow for a long way out.

Including this older thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ve...9-insider-info-directions-venice-beaches.html

For wrecks propably the Keys. WreckTrek 3.0 - Florida Keys Diving & Snorkeling - Monroe County Florida Keys Official Tourism Website

For teeth/fossils, the west side, Venice area.
For Wrecks, Palm Beach, and then all the way south to Key Weird.
The questions are:
When are you coming?
How long will you be here?
I often recommend moving around the joint a bit.
Chug
Peace River Tooth Hunter.

When I was researching Florida for a trip, I, too, found info. overload. My quick & dirty summary:

1.) While the freshwater springs have their charms, most people will probably want to dive in the ocean.

2.) Oceanic diving is generally 'better' for what most people are after, off the east coast rather than the west. Better viz., more in the way of coral reefs instead of deliberate wrecks, etc...

3.) The Florida Keys offers shallow reef diving with good viz., many fish and good diversity. The upper Keys seem to have a rep. for better diving, such as Key Largo and Key Islamorada, as opposed to Key West, which gets attention for topside offerings. The Keys offer deep wreck trips, though, if you've got AOW, with the Spiegel Grove, Duane and Bibb popular out of Key Largo.

4.) Up north, Jupiter offers deep ledge diving, lower viz. but bigger animals, drift diving and my favorite 2 sites were the Zion Wreck Train (with the Esso Bonaire wreck) and MG-111 (which looks like someone blew up a Mayan ruin).

5.) Between the Keys and Jupiter is West Palm Beach; better viz., not as much big animal action (think sharks), compared to Jupiter, IIRC from what I've read, but popular diving, and still drift diving.

6.) Blue Heron Bridge is in the region and kind of its own thing. Not something you'd go to Florida just to hit, but if you were in the area, could be fun.

For a 'tale of 2 trips,' here are 2 of mine:

Diving Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Dive Center (they moved their location a little since this).

Diving Jupiter with Jupiter Dive Center.

Richard.

The Pompano/Fort Lauderdale area is also very good for wrecks at various levels. Some of the top wrecks include the Capt Dan, Ancient Mariner, Jim Atria and many more. They had a very active artificial reef program in the 1990's. I feel that their reefs lack. Take a look at South Florida Diving Headquarters or Pompano Dive Center for more ideas. While I like the Key Largo wreck diving, it has really only a few good (really great) wrecks but also has really good reefs. The Pompano area has a ton more wrecks, the Keys have a much better ambiance and mixture :cool2:.

For teeth/fossils, the west side, Venice area.
For Wrecks, Palm Beach, and then all the way south to Key Weird.
The questions are:
When are you coming?
How long will you be here?
I often recommend moving around the joint a bit.
Chug
Peace River Tooth Hunter.

We're not sure. We're thinking maybe February for about a week, but probably would indeed be willing to move around a bit. Most of our trip would not be dive-related, so the topside stuff is also a consideration for us (we have a 2 year old, also, and obviously....she will not be diving. Ha).

I like aquarium-type dives, if you know what I mean. Where it looks like you're in an aquarium. I also like animals, but the only animals I haven't seen which I really want to see are whales (seen many of them, but never on a dive), octopus, seahorses, and otters. I love some nice soft coral, which I've seen in Belize, Cozumel, and Saba, and also love cool fish, which I've seen in Hawaii.

Wrecks are on my to-do list. Never seen one.

I don't think you're going to see whales diving Florida. When people talk about whales in the U.S., but I've noticed tended to involve the region of California and, via live-aboard, the Socorro Islands (not U.S., but Mexican). I don't know what the % change of observing one during a dive is, but my point is I don't think whale watching is likely to drive your choice in Florida dive sites.

Octopi you may see by day, but from what I understand are more likely to see night diving.

Sea horses? Everyone I've been shown (1 in Belize, a few in Bonaire) were shown to me by others. You might see one. People mention seeing them at Blue Heron Bridge, if viewing them is a big issue for you.

The only salt water otters would be sea otters, and we're back to talking about California, although out that way sea lions, and to some extent seals, seem to be the major attraction regarding sea mammals.

Aquarium conditions tends to mean high viz., warm water, minimal current and lots of tropical fish & corals. While I didn't find the viz. up there with Bonaire or Cozumel, I think Key Largo might be a fine choice for you. But, it wasn't a 'beach' destination. So if spending the evening laying out sunning on a large expanse of white sand beach is a big deal, Key Largo may not be your thing.

Richard.

Oh yes, I didn't mean I expected to see all those in Florida. :)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

well, you can literally dive in an aquarium at Epcot Center's Living Seas exhibit. It's kinda fun to do once or twice. Since you have a young child, I thought you might be stopping by Disney.

The easiest diving is in Key Largo or the shallow reef line in Pompano. You'll see lots of fish on any of those shallow sites. Sounds like you're a bit more advanced than your husband so if you choose the Keys, you can take a trip out to one of the deeper wrecks if he's not ready for that sort of thing.

Blue Heron Bridge is a pretty neat dive in which you can see unusual things like sea horses, sea hares, sea robins, pipe fish, garden eels, sharp tailed eels, star gazers, etc. etc. If you only have the chance to dive it once, hire a guide from Force-E or Pura Vida and you're odds of seeing these sorts of things will increase significantly.

We're not sure. We're thinking maybe February for about a week, but probably would indeed be willing to move around a bit. Most of our trip would not be dive-related, so the topside stuff is also a consideration for us (we have a 2 year old, also, and obviously....she will not be diving. Ha).

I like aquarium-type dives, if you know what I mean. Where it looks like you're in an aquarium. I also like animals, but the only animals I haven't seen which I really want to see are whales (seen many of them, but never on a dive), octopus, seahorses, and otters. I love some nice soft coral, which I've seen in Belize, Cozumel, and Saba, and also love cool fish, which I've seen in Hawaii.

Wrecks are on my to-do list. Never seen one.

If you're in the area, you might want to try the drift diving on the reefs of Boynton Beach. Water temps might be on the cold side in February and the seas can be up in SE FL. Your best bet might just be Key Largo

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom