Best Diving in Fiji without an internal flight.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glamourpuss

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We're looking to spend about 2-3 weeks in Fiji and want to do some diving while we're there. We probably wont dive every day, but we'll likely spend at least half of the time underwater.

We're pretty flexible on where to go, we haven't booked any flights yet, but are looking to do so soon. We'll most likely be flying in from Auckland around middle to late March, and then hopefully flying out to Hawaii a few weeks later.

The biggest issue is that my boyfriend hates small planes, so wherever we go it needs to be accessible from either Nadi or Suva by boat/car. (we also have a lot of stuff since we've been traveling for a long time, so we wouldn't be able to make the luggage restrictions for a small plane anyway).

So we're looking for suggestions on where to go. Budget wise something moderate to lower end... not dorms, but definitely no luxury resorts, and preferably something with internet access.

Thanks in advance!

Hi - The "best diving" really depends on the type of diving you like to do, and what you like to see. Do you like sharks or reef fish, strong currents or mild? That said, I have three options for you.

Pacific Harbor has shark dives and is the gateway to Beqa Lagoon you could tay in Pacific Harobor or take a boat to one of the resorts there and dive. When we were there it had been rainy and viz was bad in the Lagoon due to runoff. To get there is a 2-3 hour drive on the Queens Road (south road) on Viti Levu. We stayed at Kulu Bay on Beqa and they had really good shore diving and snorkeling in front of the resort. The other main option is the Beqa Lagoon Resort. Boat rides ranged from 20-60 minutes.

Another option is diving the Rakiraki area. Both Wananavu and Volivoli Beach Resort would be good options there. Rakiraki is a couple hour's drive on the King's road (morth road) on Viti Levu. The diving there is good - they take you out to the Vatu-I-Ra Passage where there is a lot of life and also can have stronger currents - boat rides take 45 - 60 minutes.

One of my favorites is Naigani Island Resort - you would have a long car ride as you need to get to Suva or the Nasouri airport to connect to their transportation (mini-bus to jetty and boat to Naigani). Unlike the other two locations, Naigani isn't really a dive resort - we have been there twice and we never saw another dive boat. Sometimes we were the only divers. The dive leaders there really know the waters and where to find things and most of the diving is on bommies and reefs around the island - generally very short trips of 10 minutes or so. We didn't see any big fish other than a couple sharks but the diving was pristine and there was a lot of fish life including blue ribbon eels, octopus, sting rays, etc. Naigani is not fancy but they have kayaks you can use for free, a swimming pool, and a 3 hole "barefoot golf course."

I don't recommend the diving in the Yasawas or Mamanucas, if you are looking for "the best diving in Fiji" but if you aren't diving much and want more variety of things to do, the diving there is OK. I recommend you look at reviews in Trip Advisor of these resorts and you will get a feel for what is right for you.

When booking land transportation, your destination resort is probably the best bet for arranging a car and driver for you (unless you want to rent a car).

Enjoy your trip to Fiji -

Cindy

HiI thought I had replied to this thread... seems to have vanished.. Did you get it? If not I'll re post.CheersGreg

Ah, That's a shame
I agree with CindyEdge above but would add the following.
1. Beqa Lagoon diving. You don;t need to stay on Beqa island if you don't want to. Uprising resort is very nice and affordable or if you are not too fussed about having a beach, stay at Club Oceanus which is where Aquatrek operate from so rather handy for Shark dives and regular trips.
Beqa island resorts are nice but you are stuck there. You are also going to have easy internet access if yo stay on the main land (Viti Levu) but it may be harder to sort on the island based resorts.

2. Naigani is cool and they have a refurbished dive boat so more chance of diving Wakaya and E6 now.

3. you can get up to Taveuni in the north on a ferry which goes every other day. (there are a couple of options here) Costs about FJ$120 per person each way for a cabin. It departs from Suva. You can stay at Dolphin Bay Divers and dive the Somosomo passage (White Wall and Rainbow Reef). I don't know about Internet access there but it is fairly ubiquitous now with CDMA network access available pretty much everywhere. There are lots of resorts on Taveuni and adjacent islands so it is really decide on a budget and style. 5*, homestay etc... but I think Dolphin Bay fits your description.

You could do 4-5 days at Pacific Harbour then come to Suva to get the Ferry to Taveuni. 50 mins in the AC tourist bus which runs twice a day. Ferry departs i the evening and takes about 14 hours to get to Taveuni so you don't lose any diving time. It also gives you some cool views en-route.

Well let me know if you would like any help with a detailed itinerary or any other suggestions.

Have a great trip
Cheers
Greg

Thanks Greg.... #3 is pretty much what we've been thinking, although possibly the other way around... fly into Suva, and head up to Taveuni for a week, and then spend a few days in Pacific Harbour, before flying out of Nadi.

Question: Is the diving in Taveuni noticebly better to warrant the 14hr ferry, vs. some of the closer spots like the Yasawa Group or the Mamanuca Group?

Thanks!

Definitely. The ferry trip is no hassle as it is overnight and on a big boat. You will be a bit disappointed by Mamanuca / Yasawa diving and there is not much else to do on little islands, so Taveuni has my vote.

I live in Suva so let me know when you are passing through and we can meet up for a coffee. Depending on when your flight gets in to Suva, you may have a few hours to kill.

Cheers
Greg

Thanks for the help Greg... we also noticed that there is a flight from Nadi to Labasa (which is not on a super small plane). We could fly from Auckland to Nadi, and straight on to Labasa then take a ferry from Labasa to Taveuni. Wondering if this might be a little easier and then we could just do the ferry to Suva on the way back rather than both ways.

Do you know much about that ferry? we can't seem to find much info online about it?

Hi

I thought about the Labasa route for you but there is no ferry from there to Taveuni, but yes it is usually a much bigger plane.
The route would have to be a 4x4 / taxi from Labasa to Savusavu and then a ferry from there. The truck ride costs about FJ$130 and takes about 2 hours or a bit less, and offers some cool views - I could book that for you. The ferry schedule depends on what the company is doing, and that changes occasionally, but usually they go every other day, v early morning, about 6am - basically you are just picking up the same ferry that comes from Suva the night before. V cheap as you won't want to bother with a cabin. It takes about 4 hours from Savusavu to Taveuni.

There is another, rather more scenic route, from Savusavu to Taveuni, which is on the Grace ferry. This is a 2 hour, slightly bumpy, bus trip from Savusavu and then a short, 30 min, small ferry trip. This could save you having to stay overnight in Savusavu, although it is a nice town with some bargain accommodation. Grace Ferry has no website and can be difficult to get hold of on the phone. +679 885 0680

So you can save a 1/2 day by going Labasa -> Savusavu -> Grace ferry to Taveuni, but you probably won't get to a resort in time to dive that day but you do get an extra night at a resort and ready for morning dives, which might be harder on the large ferry, which, with transfers, would get you to the resort at around lunch time.

Cheers
Greg

I would suggest Wananavu. We have been twice and loved it and the fabulous diving in the Bligh Waters. The driver picked us up at the airport and we drove 2 1/2 hours to the resort. Wonderful resort and people and I think they're having a one pays full, one pays half offer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom