Best Dive Store UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thomson_adam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all
I was wondering on what peoples thoughts are on the best dive store in the UK. I am looking for a BCD & Reg set.

I keep seeing Mikes dive store coming up when I search. London is quite a trip for me but happy to travel if it’s worth it.

I have also seen ROHO which is closer to me.

It depends where you are based and what you need from them. For a BCD and reg set you may want to visit to try things on, and get hands on with them to see if it suits you, or not if you know what sort of thing you want already. Mike's does seem to have very good search engine optimisation, must admit.

I live near Roho as well, and would look at them for certain kit, but not other things. Unfortunately the number of dive shops is reducing, so they're all a bit of a trek it seems. There's Roho at Cleckheaton, then Dive Manchester across the M62 and what was DiveLife, now the Scubadiving Gear Store just off the 62 as well at Whitefield. SDS in Sheffield has closed, there's a place in Sowerby Bridge, and the Blue Lagoon dive site I think has a shop but is linked to a shop in Hull. There used to be a place in York but I never went, not sure if its still there. They all have varying ranges of stock and manufacturers, so you may need to do a little research first to visit a few for a good range.

I'd recommend a simple backplate and wing as a first set up, and cold water rated regs (EN250A) that are in a style you like. BPW is less common in most clubs, but there is good scalability and options to make it suit you more than most BCDs. DIN is more useful in the UK usually for regs. For regs I had Poseidon, then Apeks, now Halcyon (Scubapro) which are the ones I prefer. You can get them all online, and for that I find Underwater Explorers down in Portland (DIRDirect online) very helpful with a big range, or Aquanauts in Plymouth similar.

Lastly, if you aren't a member of a club, I'd look at joining one. There is often kit to borrow or other divers who will let you fondle their bits to get an idea what you like or don't. Depending where you are Huddersfield BSAC meets on Mondays a the pool there, and Leeds BSAC meets on Fridays I believe at the John Charles sport centre at Hunslet. I'm in Huddersfield club, and we have all sorts of kit on most boat trips so you could see a good range for example, though I'm sure other clubs are similar.

Hope that helps,
Rich

The question would be why do you need to visit in person? I agree with Rich and would look at something like a basic ScubaPro regulator set which you can get mail order off the internet (both Richs' shop recommendations are sound).

If you want to try on a BC for size and comfort that makes sense, but the shop will try to sell you what it has in stock rather than what is best for you.

The "best" option is probably to buy at a local dive store if you want them to stay in business and provide you with gas fills. A lot of local shops are failing as they cannot compete with the internet. However it is really hard to get a gas fill off the internet...

It’s not really worth the travel for a BCD or regs unless you have some very specific requirements. Most smaller dive shops keep only a small stock and only sell few brands.

Buy the cheapest set of Apeks or ScubaPro regs online, basic cold water models. Backplate & wing are one size fits all anyway.

Underwater Explorers (DirDirect) are great in person if you need advice and deliver fast as they keep large stock. Aquanauts have fast shipping but keep forgetting items in the orders.

Hello all ,
I am based on the north east coast but need to go to London for an appointment.
I have decided to go with the scubarpo Hydros Pro.

ROHO has them in stock , i was just trying to kill two birds with one stone by traveling to London. I guess i could always ask my local dive store to see if they could order them in? just not sure if they would order two sizes.

Afternoon. Mike's is out at Chiswick, so depending on where your appointment is, not necessarily easy to get to if you're on public transport. Up in the NE are a couple of dive shops I know of, Honest Diver Supply Co and The Diving Centre have both been mentioned by friends who are based up that way, but I don't know what sizes and ranges they have. It looks like The Diving Centre carry Scubapro for example.

Rich

I have decided to go with the scubarpo Hydros Pro.

Excellent choice.

Mike's store has worst service from personal experience. I wouldn't deal with them or recommend them at all. I advise to Find another more professional store to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom