Best dive sites in Phuket for this time of year? Need advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi my name is Chris and I am new to this forum, I have completed my open water course and got 6-7 dives under my belt.

I'm currently staying in Phuket and I was thinking about going to the similin islands but I am really unsure whether or not to go because of it being at the end of the monsoon season. I was diving in Phi Phi islands at the Beda Nok and Mahlong dive sites and the visibility was quite poor and i was a bit disappointed.

Could somebody please let me know if they have visited the similin island's lately and what it was like in terms of vis and what they saw and if they think it's worth going?

Or could anybody recommend somewhere else around in Phuket area this time of year?

As you're staying there you should be able to get up-to-date info from the local scene. My most memorable dives from around Phuket around this time of year (excluding Similans which were in a class by themselves) were Koh Doc Mai and King Cruiser.

At the moment the Racha Islands offer the best diving, easily.

Phi Phi should improve any moment now though, I'm going there myself again this Friday after a few months sticking to the Racha Islands.

Yeah thanks mate yeah Phi Phi was a bit disappointing but nowt you can do about it if it's the wrong time of the year.

Yeah thanks mate yeah Phi Phi was a bit disappointing but nowt you can do about it if it's the wrong time of the year.
Yes, in our low/green season there is a bigger chance of diving at Phi Phi (and King Cruiser/Shark Point area) not being very good due to low visibility. But there are still plenty of really nice days in that time of year, and also in the high season you will have days with low visibility. That's simply the way it is there.

Racha Noi and Racha Yai are nearly always good, with in low/green season more chance of going to the best divesites, due to the prevailing wind conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom