Best Dive Sites In/Near Boston Harbor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abouttime

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am moving my boat from Gloucester to Charlestown next year. I'm spoiled by all of the great diving in Cape Ann that is only minutes from the marina.

However, the Warren Tavern in Charlestown has its advantages too.

What are some of the interesteting dive sites I should look into. I'm mostly into lobsters and sight seeing at recreational depths.

IMHO, you've made a step up in nearby potential dive sites, not a step back.

Off the top of my head, the following sites are good ones to consider as an OW diver. If you get more experience, there are a lot more than these!

Wreck of the Romance
Wreck of the Kiowa
Wreck of the City of Salisbury
Outer Brewster Island "Canyons"
Strawberry Ledge
Graves' Light
Green Island
3 1/2 fathom ledge
Harding's Ledge
Roaring Bulls

If you're willing to head a bit further south, there are a bunch of great sites off Cohasset and Scituate too.

I've dove the Kiowa, Harding's and the Salisbury last year and enjoyed the Salisbury the most. Best viz and most interesting terrain that can get to about 75 fsw. I'd recommend all the above three, though. For shore sites, try Sandwich Town Beach right by the canal...one of my ol' favorites despite the new sand.

LobstaMan

Yeah, that would be a long boat ride to STB from Charlestown. Maybe I should read the poster's question before answering, duh.

LobstaMan

abouttime:
I am moving my boat from Gloucester to Charlestown next year. I'm spoiled by all of the great diving in Cape Ann that is only minutes from the marina.

However, the Warren Tavern in Charlestown has its advantages too.

What are some of the interesteting dive sites I should look into. I'm mostly into lobsters and sight seeing at recreational depths.

Where are you putting your boat in Charlestown? I often launch my 24ft cabin cruiser at the Schraffs building to go out by the Brewsters. We should get together for boating and diving next season.
I like to boat on the south side of the cape becasue its warm and sandy, but not much in the way of diving sites because of the sand and a lot of current in Vineyard Sound to deal with.

John C.

best dive sites near boston harbour

i was going to ask the very same question
sorry to crash

i'm hoping to be over in boston again around easter next year to visit friends in brookline, {non divers,, they don't know what they are missing :wink: }
how much for gear rental, and details of friendly dive centers would be very welcome
thanks all

jchaplain:
Where are you putting your boat in Charlestown? I often launch my 24ft cabin cruiser at the Schraffs building to go out by the Brewsters. We should get together for boating and diving next season.
I like to boat on the south side of the cape becasue its warm and sandy, but not much in the way of diving sites because of the sand and a lot of current in Vineyard Sound to deal with.

John C.

I am putting the boat in Constituiton Marina. It's a 1989 32' Ocean Yacht flybridge cruiser. It's a great dive boat with swim platform, transom door and lots of cockpit space.

I'd love to hook up with some people who like to dive. I just love being on, in, or under the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom