Best Dive Operators For Mola Mola Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My understanding is that the actual season is August September, if you're truly set on seeing them.

I felt incredibly blessed to have seen them out of season . . .and incredibly cold. Next time, I'll have a 5mm instead of a 3mm. Fortunately, I had a full hood and a long sleeve Sharkskin shirt and gloves. Unfortunately, didn't know enough to put all those extras on until after the first day or two of diving in those 19-20c temperatures.

No decision yet but I'm fairly flexible between say late June to early August I would like to max the chances of seeing the mola mola

Also, I'm thinking of bringing along my dry suit to deal with the thermoclines with these mola mola dives -- do you all think this might be overkill? For those of you from Canada, I figure the thermoclines can't be any worse than diving in Tobermory waters and I imagine the mola dives are shorter duration too. If I do bring a dry suit, I can see the potential discomfort of overheating while on the boat where the air temps will be drastically higher than the thermocline temps.

FYI, I haven’t gotten any luck in spotting Mola Mola earlier that mid August around Nusa Penida dive sites.

I was diving and staying with Absolute Scuba in Padang Bai and saw a mola on 2 different Crystal Bay dives, off season end of February. I don't know how they conduct the in season dives because our first dive of the day was Manta Point.
How would you rate Absolute Scuba?
Cheers.

I was quite pleased. My first time with them, my friend was with me but I had a virus and didn't dive as much as I'd hoped.

I made up for that by returning and spending another 2 weeks with them, shortly thereafter.

Nothing written in stone, of course, but as of now, I'm planning to spend quite a bit of time with them next winter.

First, superlatives scare me almost as much as dive operators that jump on here with aggressive sales techniques! Second, there are a few tips that need to be stressed for divers who wish to encounter the mola molas:
1) Pick the right time of year. Season runs 6 weeks between end of July and begining of October. This slides back and forth every year. Out of season, you may still be lucky. However, luck is just that and no one can control it... not even THE BEST DIVE OPERATOR ON BALI! Off season, focus on full moon, or, even better IMHO, new moon and expect strong currents. In season, do the same, but also expect cold waters (see Tip 4).
2) Do multiple days of diving at the right sites. The right sites include Crystal Bay, Toyapakeh, PED, Sental, Buyuk, Gili Biaha, Tepekong & Mimpang. At times some are better than others. This can change from a couple of days to another with no notice. CHOOSE AN OP THAT ALLOWS YOU TO SWAP ACCORDINGLY.
3) Dive deep (and get training as needed). This is a deep sea fish after all. Meeting it should not happen when you're a coastal diver. It only does happen due to the Indonesian through-flow and its world famous upwellings (See Tip 4). My personal average sighting depth is 37m. I may dive a bit deeper and a tad longer than some. This is OK only as long as I can show adequate training, be it Deep, Nitrox, Deco or such with experience to match the diver card... The guys doing deep rebreather trimix dives in calmer parts of Bali get lucky all year round... at 65m-90m+!
4) Get ready for the cold. Everyone gets hit by cold water in a different way. I've had temperature amplitudes of 16C + (from 30C down to 14C) on a single 60 minute dive at Crystal. Take whatever you need, be it a 7mm, 5mm, 3mm long or just shorts, if, like me, you come with free blubber!
5) Remember that you can have a great dive without seeing a sunfish. Most of my best dives had no added sunfish! In my experience, the most single track-minded divers are also the least lucky. Call it Sod's Law!
6) Choose a safety conscious operator. More often than not, that's not the one who claims to be the best... Questions to ask include how many years have you been operating on Bali, do you operate your own boats or just rent any odd boat, how many years have your guides been diving these sites, do you bring oxygen on every trip, how about an Emergency Action Plan -> can I see it?

Excellent advice.

Is that you, James?

First, superlatives scare me almost as much as dive operators that jump on here with aggressive sales techniques!

lol, i thought the same

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom