best dive charters/spots in monterey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

therealtreehugger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm from CT, and am going to Monterey in late June for a conference starting June 29th. I'm hoping to get out to dive maybe June 25 - 28th. Can someone recommend any specific charter boats? I love wrecks, but we don't have kelp forests at home, so I HAVE to dive the kelp forests. It would be helpful if you said why you like a certain charter boat (or why you don't like them).
Also, if you are interested in diving the area at that time, maybe we can dive together?
Thanks! - Becky

Posted via Mobile Device

The standard response to this question is that there are NO bad boats operating in Monterey. As for places to dive, that will vary by the day, as conditions are quite variable.

Also, unless you are comfortable with cold water (45 * or so) diving, seriously consider getting a guide.

I really like the Beachhopper II run by MaryJo and Brian Nelson. It has a friendly family-like atmosphere and they even bring along their black lab Sadie sometimes.

If you can, try to go for a Point Lobos day - they usually book up early.

45 degrees?? That's balmy! It is just getting up to the low 40's, for the first time since early Jan. I haven't gone more than a week and a half without diving, so in other words, I am very comfortable diving in cold water. I think over a third of all my diving has been below 50 degrees, in a drysuit of course. I have been to San Diego last year in March, and I loved the kelp forests, I just wish I had more time there. That's why I am planning on leaving myself extra days. As far as weather, if the boat is willing to go out, I am willing to dive - not to say that I am not safety conscious, but I have almost always found that it is worse on the surface, and better on the bottom.
Becky

The Cypress Sea will almost guarantee you a trip to Carmel on their boat. While I love Monterey, the underwater geology and life in Carmel is top notch.

i am going to be in monteray december 26th, is it to cold to dive with a5 mil suit?

Yes. It's too cold to dive with a 5 mm in July, too. Water temps are pretty much in the low 50s / high 40s year round.

You would want a 7 mil with either a 7mil hooded vest or a 7mil farmer johns with a 7mil top. Probably wouldn't want 3 mil gloves/boots either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom