Best dive center in Rangiroa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David D

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have experience good or bad of dive centers on Rangiroa? I believe there are more than one.

Due to weight restrictions and extended RTW trip we will be travelling without our usuall gear, so hire kit quality is important.

I also understand that restrictions on dive depth based on certification level are strictly enforced. Any first hand experience of how this is implemented? My better half is very competent and experienced, but only adv o/w, and I would hate to have to dive without her to get down to the seriously shark infested depths...

...and yes Scuba Jim, I am the same David who booked through you! How are those tickets and visas coming along by the way...:)

I don't know what you're talking about David! I've never heard of you in my life!!! :D

Here is the current info on who can dive to wot depth, david:

100ft/29m for those with the following qualifications: Level 1 FFESSM, FSGT, SNMP, ANMP, CMAS, NAUI, SSI & PADI Open & Advanced Open Water.

165ft/49m for those to Level II FFESSM, FSGT, SNMP, ANMP, CMAS, NAUI, SSI & PADI Rescue Diver

200ft/60m for divers of superior levels

Which is a bit naughty of them seeing as an AOW diver is qualified to dive to 130ft

As for dive operators.

The Kia Ora has it's own, Blue Dolphins. They are good.

Raie Manta Club is another, but they have no "contract" with the Kia Ora, and have no access to the hotel's dock & facilities. Also, to be honest (spoken in whispered tones!) RMC seem to be a bit slow - maybe a little too much sun, I dunno!

As for your stuff... tickets in my mits and visas being sorted next week. And then I'll get all your stuff to you.

How's the wedding plans going?

Jim

Hi Jim! Plans progressing well, although have a feeling that this holiday will be seriously needed by the time it arrives!

I'll post a report on my web site when I get back.

Going back to the diving, I hope they are not to draconian in their views about depth and qualification. The 60m descent sounds pretty awesome, though I think wife-to-be wouldn't choose to go even if she were allowed...

Glad to hear plans are going well. Yes, you most definitely need a honeymoon after a wedding! You're brave travellin so far. We went to Italy for ours!

60m. Yes, even me on my dotage won't go that deep anymore. I would have done before I had a family, but nowadays I am much more careful. Having said that, my last dive was to almost that depth, but it was the bottom of Bikini Atoll lagoon, so it had to be done, eh?!!!!

I'll double check with the someone about the depth thing and see what they say.

Regards
Jim

Hi David

Got an answer from my chum Marion in Tahiti. This is what she said:

Dear Jim,

Thanks for your second note!

As fas as I know, PADI Advanced OW Divers, qualified with Deep Diving Course, are allowed to dive to 40 m (this is PADI international security regulation).

In Tahiti (where regulations are usually softer thanks to our clear tropical waters) and anywhere in the world, these "confortable" limits should be applied.

Therefore, if a PADI Advanced OWD is attesting of its capabilities to dive to 40m, he should be allowed to. The diving center shall refer however to the environmental conditions (waves, current, weather, etc...) before letting him go. But in all cases, it is the responsability of the PADI Advanced OWD... nothing is 100% stuck to.

Hope this will help!

Hope to hear from you agin soon... still 6 week and one day until the fam..

Cheers!

Which slighlty contradicts "official" policy, but it seems that Sian will be fine.

Hope that assists.

Regards
Jim

That's great! 40m should be fine for us to dive together for almost all the time.

Thanks Jim!

Back
Top Bottom