Best course of action for 20 yr old with no trade experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Military isnt always a for sure. If you fail to meet their requirements for dive school, or any job at that your going to be put with a " needs of military" status. Choose wisely. I am moving on to greener pastures if that gives you an indication of how great this industry really is.

Eh yeah I don't want to take that risk. Besides diving isn't even that worth it to me anymore. There's like no jobs and I ****ing hate job hunting.

Try getting some welding experience full time,load up on some part-time scuba courses to keep interested,then find a reputable hard-hat commercial diving school,preferably a trade school type.No B.S. social courses,all diving,less expense.In the early-mid 70's I went to Commercial Diving Center in Wilmington Ca,trade school then,unforunately a college now($$$$$$$),hired right out of school by Oceaneering in Morgan City,imagine my surprise when I got offshore and found they were contracting with Chicago Bridge and Iron to provide welders with little or no dive experience to do the underwater welding.Put a helmet on a welder,tell him to go down and weld.Easier than teaching a diver to weld.Some people can weld,some can't.I imagine a lot of the work is robotics nowadays,cheaper than a human,doesn't want food,housing,depth pay etc. Good Luck

The U.S. Navy said I qualified for anything they had to offer when I joined, well not quite, recruiters will tell you anything....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom