Best computer for night diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recently I've been looking at all the new dive computers coming out and started wondering if/when I buy a new one, which one would be best for night diving specifically?

Right now, I would say a majority of my dives are at night and so it's always been a concern about having to deal with a light failure. Lights are one of the most failure prone pieces of equipment and figure it's only a matter of time so I would love to have a computer that I can always read, with or without a light and also one that I can always glance at for information without having to activate the backlight or shine my light on. Not only would it be convenient but also a nice safety margin to be able to always see your information at a glance.

So far from looking, I've found the following models that are always readable and 'on' without having to turn on the backlight constantly:

1) Uemis SDA, $1200 ($1700 with transmitter)
2) Shearwater Predator ($1100-$1800 depending on model)
3) Mares Icon HD ($700 plus ~$450? later for air integration) I believe the backlight is always on, correct me if I'm wrong
4) Atomic Cobalt, coming soon ($1200)
5) OTSC MK.2 and DR 5

Any other good ones out there I'm missing? Pro's/con's? Price?

Also if anyone has the above, is it much better for night diving being able to always see the screen or not that big a deal in practice?

I might be missing something here but ...

If you dive at night then you should have a minimum of two lights (primary & a backup).

If you dive a lot at night then you should probably have LED lights or canister lights. LED lights are extremely reliable. I don't own a canister light so I cannot comment on them other than they are used by cave divers who need the ultimate in reliability.

That leaves the batteries. If the batteries are fully charged prior to the start of the dive how likely are you to have both sets of batteries fail or the LED on both lights fail?

If you accept that premise then buying a new dive computer specifically for this unlikely occurrence sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

Did I miss something?

The led's themselves and batteries are not an issue, it's the light flooding----o-rings aren't perfect in case you weren't aware, very good most of the time but definitely not perfect. I never said I needed one as a crutch because I'm afraid to dive at night without one, it's simply a nice luxury to have.

Nothing wrong with being able to see your depth, time, etc. anytime without the need to shine your light on it or looking for the backlight----pressing it ever couple of seconds because it always goes out. Nice luxury and if you're going to get a new computer anyways, why not?

So now anything new and better that comes out that has no drawbacks you can't get it because it makes you weak and you're looking for a 'solution in search of a problem' ?

Again, don't need it but would be nice to have if I'm going to get a new computer down the line anyways.

Plus even very well trained divers have issues with their lights now and than. For example reading the following thread got me thinking how in certain situations, having a computer you can always read at a glance even with no light would be very useful:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dir/352625-things-make-you-appreciate-team.html

The led's themselves and batteries are not an issue, it's the light flooding----o-rings aren't perfect in case you weren't aware, very good most of the time but definitely not perfect. I never said I needed one as a crutch because I'm afraid to dive at night without one, it's simply a nice luxury to have.

Nothing wrong with being able to see your depth, time, etc. anytime without the need to shine your light on it or looking for the backlight----pressing it ever couple of seconds because it always goes out. Nice luxury and if you're going to get a new computer anyways, why not?

So now anything new and better that comes out that has no drawbacks you can't get it because it makes you weak and you're looking for a 'solution in search of a problem' ?

Again, don't need it but would be nice to have if I'm going to get a new computer down the line anyways.

Plus even very well trained divers have issues with their lights now and than. For example reading the following thread got me thinking how in certain situations, having a computer you can always read at a glance even with no light would be very useful:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dir/352625-things-make-you-appreciate-team.html

That makes sense then. I read it as that was the reason you were buying a new dive computer.

Hate to ask a stupid question. What computer are you referring to? Thanks!

they are working on local download capabilities.

it has an amazingly bright display... side by side is brighter than the X1 and OLED Shearwater in my experience (dive the shearwater on the meg). The numbers on the new Gauge mode are actually very large and ridiculously easy to read.

It's almost too bright for night diving on 80% or brighter, and on most settings over 50% if you want to see bioluminescence then you have to cover up your display :wink:

another nice thing is its rechargeable battery life. 2 dives a day for a week before i want to plug it in to the USB or universal (wall) charger.

Along with the wonderful display, with the Liquivision you have your choice of several decompression programs, VPM, Buhlmann GF, and (true) RGBM coming soon.

+3 or 4 or whatever on the Mares M1 or M2. I have one I bought to use as a bottom timer on tech dives and the back light is great. The M2 has been out of production for a few years now but can still be found on line for under $200 in you look around some.

galileo SOL here =0) hehhe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom