Best Color For a light Stick????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surferjo

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a total Newb question but I'm going to be doing my first night Dive and I wanted to attach some light sticks to my group and I was wondeing what colors stand out most?

I know the water filters out Reds, yellows, and oranges so does that mean blue or White will travel the farthest?

Would a glow tube do a better job over all?

Thanks.

The color green will penetrate the farthest through the water, from a technical standpoint. So I usually get green for any marker lights, when I have a choice.

From a practical standpoint, any color will probably work fine.

Chem sticks are 100% effective and 100% reliable once they're going. But a pain to keep on hand, fragile (you never know how badly one has been mistreated until you open the package and fire it up), and not very good for the environment. I like Glo-Toob's as a alternative, and the UK Tank Marker lights are nice, too.

we had orange, red and green from same company in a group. Just from color point of view it was clear that green was winner by far.

Green works the best. If you are a nuclear submarine officer, do not break a light stick open and swallow some of the green goop before you go watch in a darkened control room for laughs. When I was in the Navy, some guy on one of the subs out of Pearl actually did this. The skipper surfaced and had the comedian flown off his boat.
I bet that junior officer was really green after that.

Pink

Barbie Pink

Tom Winters:
Green works the best. If you are a nuclear submarine officer, do not break a light stick open and swallow some of the green goop before you go watch in a darkened control room for laughs. When I was in the Navy, some guy on one of the subs out of Pearl actually did this. The skipper surfaced and had the comedian flown off his boat.
I bet that junior officer was really green after that.

I don't care what anyone says....that is funny!!!!!!

BRIGHTER the better!

Oh what about a laser pointer? I dont care where you are those thing are just fun.

Anybody use them when diving?

Surferjo:
Oh what about a laser pointer? I dont care where you are those thing are just fun.

Anybody use them when diving?
Trident and one or two other companies sell them, but I've never seen anyone use one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom