Best Color For a light Stick????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The glo toob rocks! http://www.glo-toob.com/ Oh, I have a green one. Not because it is the best color (the blue one very bright too), but because I like the color! :)

I think we all know the right answer to this one.

yoda.jpg

Tom Winters:
Green works the best. If you are a nuclear submarine officer, do not break a light stick open and swallow some of the green goop before you go watch in a darkened control room for laughs. When I was in the Navy, some guy on one of the subs out of Pearl actually did this. The skipper surfaced and had the comedian flown off his boat.
I bet that junior officer was really green after that.
In addition to getting you thrown off a sub, you can use them to get your dive buddies angry at you.

After one night dive, my buddy decided to cut open his chemstick, and rub the glowing fluid on me. There are a few problems with that....
1) That snapping noise when you light one up, is glass breaking. It's best to leave the plastic around it.
2) The fluid is "non toxic", but it stains things.
3) That stuff stinks the next day.
4) Try not to get the fluid in your eyes.

Perhaps I've had chemsticks on too many camping trips, when there was a keg around. Working at a weekend fair, after the customers go home, leads to all sorts of "discoveries".

The color probably isn't a major issue unless you plan on having significantly large distances between you. Whichever you do choose, however, I've found that my eyes are much better at picking up the faint glow of a light stick/light tube when it flashes, especially when there's ambient light (e.g. full moon). I personally like the Eco Flare by Princeton Tec. It's cheap and seems to get the job done.

Rev. Blade:
In addition to getting you thrown off a sub, you can use them to get your dive buddies angry at you.

After one night dive, my buddy decided to cut open his chemstick, and rub the glowing fluid on me. There are a few problems with that....
1) That snapping noise when you light one up, is glass breaking. It's best to leave the plastic around it.
2) The fluid is "non toxic", but it stains things.
3) That stuff stinks the next day.
4) Try not to get the fluid in your eyes.

Perhaps I've had chemsticks on too many camping trips, when there was a keg around. Working at a weekend fair, after the customers go home, leads to all sorts of "discoveries".
Umm. Yeah.

RPFS? PM me. :D

Jake:
The color probably isn't a major issue unless you plan on having significantly large distances between you. Whichever you do choose, however, I've found that my eyes are much better at picking up the faint glow of a light stick/light tube when it flashes, especially when there's ambient light (e.g. full moon). I personally like the Eco Flare by Princeton Tec. It's cheap and seems to get the job done.
I agree with you. The Eco Flare is good because it flashes, but it's not as annoying bright as the #%*$ xenon emergency strobe lights some people think are supposed to be used as marker lights.

That said, I've flooded THREE Eco Flares in the past year. Princeton Tec is good about sending me new ones, but shipping back and forth every few dives gets old. I gave up on them and use a green Glo-Toob now.

I have been using Aquatec LED mini light sticks and am very happy with them. They can be seen from farther away than chemical light sticks and according to the manufacturer are good to 330 ft. I have seen them used to 240 with no problems. You do need to remember to turn them off after the dive. I have only seen the white ones used.

Hoyden:
I have been using Aquatec LED mini light sticks and am very happy with them. They can be seen from farther away than chemical light sticks and according to the manufacturer are good to 330 ft. I have seen them used to 240 with no problems. You do need to remember to turn them off after the dive. I have only seen the white ones used.
I've seen those... very slick! If they ran off AAAs or something other than funky watch batteries, I'd be sold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom