Best choice for Komodo liveaboards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

viva1

Registered
Reaction score
We're thinking of going on a liveaboard to Komodo area in July, 2009. I''ve heard that the Kararu's "Cheng Ho" is a wonderful boat. Does anyone have any opinions about the Cheng Ho or other liveaboards (which might be better)?

I'll be doing a week in Komodo on The Pelagian next month ... will happily provide some feedback when I return ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That would be great. Thanks.

Hitting the Komodo Dancer in June. Would love to hear first hand opinions (not that it matters, since we are already going....)

Doing a week on Ondina in August. It's a long way off but will post a report then.

We're thinking of going on a liveaboard to Komodo area in July, 2009. I''ve heard that the Kararu's "Cheng Ho" is a wonderful boat. Does anyone have any opinions about the Cheng Ho or other liveaboards (which might be better)?

Best boats still
Komodo Diving & Liveaboard Cruises - Raja Ampat, Banda Sea, Wakatobi & Fakfak SCUBA Adventures with Seven Seas Bali
Archipelago Adventurer II Cruise Itineraries
http://www.pindito.com/english.htm
Blue Marlin Dive Center Gili Islands Lombok Indonesia for small groups of 6
Peter Hughes Diving Inc.

Cheers
Wayan

Hitting the Komodo Dancer in June. Would love to hear first hand opinions (not that it matters, since we are already going....)

Went to Komodo with Komodo Dancer in July '04 - it was VERY nice, I enjoyed it a lot. Very nice crew who knew the spots and tide tables extremely well, great food, great diving (wide angle and macro). I especially enjoyed the hot shower on the deck right after the night dive, the warm towel with the shoulder massage and the hot chocolate - this was heaven!!! :wink:

Have fun (I'm a bit envious now... :wink:)

Gaby
PS: on my website you'll find some photos about Komodo...

thanks for the info, Wayan. I think I've narrowed it down to the Seven Seas and the Pindito. Have you personally been on either? One big difference is that 7 Seas flies up to Komodo area and does more diving there VS the Pindito that boats from Bali and returns to Bali,thus fewer dives in Komodo area itself. Maybe this is just as interesting--I don't know. Any thoughts about this?

Hi viva1,

if the boats are similar I would choose the one not leaving from Bali. As you said, you have more dives when you fly in (f.ex. Labuan Bajo, Flores). There are some very nice dive sites outside Komodo National Park, f. ex. Sangeang island but I'm not so sure whether one or two dives there are worth missing 1.5 dive days when you come from Bali...

When I went with Peter Hughes Komodo Dancer, we had a 7 days' cruise but only 5.5 dive days. This was the only drawback on this cruise however.

On the other hand it was a great landscape above water when you are sailing by the islands of Satonda and Sangeang etc. - beautiful volcanoes and you can also do some excursions.

So it just depends what you prefer - get most diving out of the trip or also see something above water. For me, I guess the best would be a one-way cruise - leaving Bali (for the landscape and excursions) and going to Labuan Bajo, flying back from there or vice versa.

Gaby

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom