Best chargeable AA batteries?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a couple articles on rechargeable batteries and chargers

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=9

I personally have been using Maha Powerex 2000mah for a couple of years in all my LED flashlights, Rino 120 GPS's, and Ikelite MV strobes. The strobes are the most noticeable, darn near instant recycle time through 2 rolls of 36 exposure. I've never seen how far they go, most of my diving is 2 tank boat dives so I change them when I hit shore just to be safe. I also use the Maha chargers 204 and 401 (on slow charge, fast gets too warm). If I bought a charger today it would be the AccuManager 20. Be careful what you put these batteries in, unless the device is made for them they'll toast things. NiMh gives up a lot of juice in a short amount of time unlike alkalines which have a lot of internal resistance which slows them down. Just for giggles I put a couple in a stock Mini Maglite, REALLY bright for about 5 seconds before pop. I spoke with Bob at Southern Nikonos this morning and he says it's a no-no in older Nikonos strobes (he is doing an annual on my SB-102). Ikelite says they're strobes are fine with NiMh.

Well, I am totally happy with them Panasonic rechargables from Costco (2300)...I can easily get 4 dives out of them and still show around the pictures

jonnythan:
A higher mAh rating does not necessarily translate into longer-lasting power in a camera.

A quote from Steve's Digicam webpage:
Over the last couple of years we've seen higher capacity NiMH batteries hit the market, especially in the popular AA size which is what most of the digicams use. The first cells were only 800-900mAh capacity but now we have a wide choice of cells ranging from 1500 to 2500mAh. As expected, the higher the capacity - the longer the run time.

Gilligan:
A quote from Steve's Digicam webpage:
Over the last couple of years we've seen higher capacity NiMH batteries hit the market, especially in the popular AA size which is what most of the digicams use. The first cells were only 800-900mAh capacity but now we have a wide choice of cells ranging from 1500 to 2500mAh. As expected, the higher the capacity - the longer the run time.
In general this is obviously true. However, one brand's 2100 mAh battery won't necessarily last longer than another brand's 2300 mAh. The way these ratings are obtained is by using a fixed current, which will *not* approximate a camera's burst-type usage.

jonnythan:
In general this is obviously true. However, one brand's 2100 mAh battery won't necessarily last longer than another brand's 2300 mAh. The way these ratings are obtained is by using a fixed current, which will *not* approximate a camera's burst-type usage.

On the other hand in practice everyone who uses the batteries in the cameras finds that the higher mAh batteries last longer!

I have some 2300 mAh batteries that don't last as long in my headlamp as another set of 2000 mAh batteries.

I haven't used the 2000 mAh batteries in my camera to compare.

Not "everyone" finds the same thing as you Kim :wink:

Maybe, everthing is 2000 mAh no matter what they said.....:05:

jonnythan:
I have some 2300 mAh batteries that don't last as long in my headlamp as another set of 2000 mAh batteries.

I haven't used the 2000 mAh batteries in my camera to compare.

jonnythan:

It's not a question of what "I" find - I use lithium rechargables that last for 2 days...maybe 8 dives. If you check the many threads on this topic on the board I think that it's fairly clear what folks who put them in cameras think. I'm just pointing that out! eyebrow
If you want a more in depth opinion about this then check:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

There aren't many people who'd argue with Steve about it!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom