Best case for camera/housing etc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetman

Contributor
Reaction score
What case are you using to store and transport your gear? I got a pelican 1450 last week and it proved too small for the pt015 housing - couldnt get the case to close with the housing in there even by standing on it - (just kidding). However, it looks like the 1550 might be big enough as i think its another inch deeper. What other options might there be?

I'd likely be looking at getting a wid angle lens and strobe in the future as well - or would it be better to transport strobes separately?

Too many things to think about with this stuff...luckily i few more months to get it all straigh before the water gets less hard up here.

steve

I got tired of the weight of the Pelican cases and went to a padded back-pak for traveling. All of my camera stuff fits in it, even strobe arms and battery chargers. Since I keep it with me, I feel just the padded cordura is enough protection.

For home and local diving, I store everything in a case. It's not a Pelican but I don't know the name of it! I found it at our scuba flea market. It's made of a hard plastic but instead of a deep side with a shallow lid, it has two equal sides. You know...it open like Pac Man! Anyway, it's deep enough for even the PT-15 housing. I've utilized both sides for storage with a little bit of planning and have lots of room left for add-ons.

Our favorite dive shop has started selling these and since we're planning to go there tomorrow, I'll find out what it is!

Wetman,

I have figured out a way to carry my SLR U/W camera system as CARRY ON luggage!

I needed to have the ability to carry-on my NX-80 setup while traveling... My goal was to have BOTH macro and wide-angle as well as two strobes and all the associated arms, sync cords, ect.

My answer was the Porter Case. It's a hard cover and WHEELED luggage case - that DOUBLES as a dolly! It's fully sized as carry-on (8"D x 14"W x 22"L) and acceptable on all airlines. It even has a telescoping handle!

This is the ONLY underwater SLR system that I know of, that can be fiited into this configuration. It includes:

• Sea & Sea NX-80 Camera Housing (Housing Grips under Dome Port)
• Sea & Sea Standard Dome Port (wide angle for my Nikkor 20mm lens)
• Sea & Sea Custom Flat Port (macro for my Nikkor-Micro 60mm lens)
• Sea & Sea YS-120 Duo Strobes (Two each)
• Sea & Sea Strobe Arm V sets (Two each)
• Twin UK Q40 Focus Lights and Hot Shoe
• Sync Cords - Single 5-pin (Two each)
• Sync Cord - Dual 5-pin
• Sync Cord – Dual Connector
• Lens Cleaning and O-Ring Maintenance Kit

I have attached a photo of this set-up... Well worth the expense of the Porter Case... I highly recommend it...

--Brad
attachment.php

It measures 20"L x 12"W x 10"D. The pick and pluck foam is hexagonal shaped, which I really like for round shapes. It's designed with both halves equal so it lays open completely flat.

To keep from taking up board space, here's the link to my camera album. The last 4 pictures show the inside. Yes....I wasted some space with my spacing but I don't need more than that! I really like the foam in two layers. In the lid, I have the lighterweight diffusers and arms with room for other stuff.

I checked on that case today. It's made by Deep Outdoors and goes for $159.

I couldn't find it on the Deep Outdoors website so maybe it's a new item.

I have the Pelican 1600 and it has plenty of room for everything you need. I can put my c-3020, my PT010, my computer ( wrist), my batteries with charger, and even though I don't have my strobe yet it has plenty of room for it when I get the strobe. I haven't taken it to the airport to see about it being the right size to be a carry-on. I will be going this week. Can you go online to find out the dimensions for a carry-on???

That case you were talking about that doubles as a dolly sound neat.

Good Luck
Nathan

Nathan....all airline websites have guidelines for carry-on dimensions. It's close to 19x12x10

Thanks Dee,

I guess my case will be going in the hold. I think the dimensions on the case are 24"x20"x9". That's okay though, its great to have on the boat for storage. I'll just carry the camera and my memory cards in my carry-on.

Thanks
Nathan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom