Best Caribbean destination for diver and non-diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rpodos:
Drift diving *IS* easy... the easiest if you ask me. As in, you don't do any work! The trick to Coz, if you ask me, is to go with one of the smaller and more personalized dive ops, and get them to customize to your experience level and desires. Try Aldora Divers.

I second Aldora Divers, and I'm extremely picky. We're going to be diving with them again in September. They will meet you at the airport and arrange for you to drop off your gear where it will be waiting for you on the boat when you dive. So much better than schelping wet gear and no more hassles with washing and storage because they do it for you. They will pick you up at around 7:30 so you can get out to the reef before anyone else. When you get to the site, its a simple backroll off the boat. They provide steel 100s and bottom times are often over an hour. They deliver you to a nice beach for a surface interval where you can buy lunch that is guaranteed not to make you sick. A lot of divers meet their spouses on the beach for lunch. After a 2 hour surface interval, it's back to the 2nd site with another long bottom time. They have several fast boats and you will not placed on a boat where diving is beyond your skill level. Go to www.aldora.com and read reviews of their operation.

$50 a night for the room? Cozumel, Bay Islands, and the north coast of the DR are the most inexpensive places that come to mind.

$50 a night. I agree with the above. You could probably do a package deal from Houston to Cozumel with one of the smaller boutique hotels for about $550 a person including airfare. Some of these hotels have kitchenettes and you can buy groceries at the Chedurai (?) store, which is the local version of Walmart.

You may also want to look at the auctions for weekly timeshares on places like skyauction.com and ebay. I was able to get a room with kitchenette for $249 for the week at Hotel on the Cay in St. Croix on ebay. Not a luxury resort, but perfectly fine for our purposes. It's on a private island called Protestant Cay and there is a free ferry every 15 minutes to Christianstead which is a swimable distance across the harbor. Diving is very reasonable also. We rented a nice car in Christianstead for 3 days ($35.00 per day) from Judi (Cars by Judi? or something). We parked it in the public lot in town for free. It's usually $5.00 per day, but the parking lot attendant had died and has not been replaced. They run on Island Time, obviously.

Check out the Sun Packages at Sky Auction: http://www.skyauction.com/action/search/cat|6

be sure to read the fine print and add up all the extra charges. You can probably find a nice, but not luxurious, timeshare for under $250 for the week. You just need to be a bit creative and match that with a good airfare.

Good luck and have a great trip.

Oh, and in general, another way to find really inexpensive accommodations is www.vrbo.com if you can deal with not being at a hotel. Depending on where I'm going and what deals I find, I often prefer this.

I think Belize would fit your needs - been to Roatan too and it's similar diving, but definately more topside for non divers, especially San Pedro. Some nice shops and everything is easily accesible. I would be heading back there this December, but feel i should try somewhere else!! Have always wanted to go the caribbean (sounded so exotic when i was living in cold dank scotland) this thread has been really useful, but now i'm more confused than ever about where to go!!!

hil71:
I think Belize would fit your needs - been to Roatan too and it's similar diving, but definately more topside for non divers, especially San Pedro. Some nice shops and everything is easily accesible. I would be heading back there this December, but feel i should try somewhere else!! Have always wanted to go the caribbean (sounded so exotic when i was living in cold dank scotland) this thread has been really useful, but now i'm more confused than ever about where to go!!!

Go to Barbados! It's $399 including air from Boston. I found this thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=106196&page=1&pp=10

There are lots of ancient Scots graves there too. I have an ancestor from the Isle of Man who died in Barbados in 1680 and I've been dying to go. I have to fit this into my schedule somehow.

A Celtic dive-in anyone?

redhatmama:
Go to Barbados! It's $399 including air from Boston. I found this thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=106196&page=1&pp=10

There are lots of ancient Scots graves there too. I have an ancestor from the Isle of Man who died in Barbados in 1680 and I've been dying to go. I have to fit this into my schedule somehow.

A Celtic dive-in anyone?

Found that thread too!!! Sounds like a plan to me - Celtic Dive in - have to be somewhere warm - i might be scottish but am a WWW! We could go visit Scubasi in Utila !!
Definately leaning to Barbados now - doesnt look like the best diving on earth but seems ok and lots of topside stuff too!

hil, you should try to join Tobagoman and me and our wives in December! We haven't settled on a dive plan yet, but I am pushing for a bit more adventure than is typical for Barbados. :wink:

rpodos:
hil, you should try to join Tobagoman and me and our wives in December! We haven't settled on a dive plan yet, but I am pushing for a bit more adventure than is typical for Barbados. :wink:

Absolutely! - that would be great - plan to arrive there on Nov 26th and leave on the 3rd of Dec - are you guys there then or later? Cant book anything yet as my friend isnt able to confirm yet!! Hope to see you in the islands! Hilary

hil71:
Found that thread too!!! Sounds like a plan to me - Celtic Dive in - have to be somewhere warm - i might be scottish but am a WWW! We could go visit Scubasi in Utila !!
Definately leaning to Barbados now - doesnt look like the best diving on earth but seems ok and lots of topside stuff too!

It's a fantastic price. It's a better price from Boston than I can get and I'm a lot closer. I priced a trip to Barbardos about 5 years ago and it was over $900 for a cheap hotel plus flight. I wasn't diving then, but driving around Arkansas with my genealogist cousin looking for tombstones and made a suggestion that it would be a lot more fun to look up old MacLendon in Barbardos than hike through cotton fields. I'll take 3 no seeums for 1 Arkansas chigger any day. She didn't want to do it so we didn't go. But I'm ready now!

Has anyone done a roll call? Which dates? My dive buddy hubby is not Scottish, but English/Irish. I guess he's close enough.

Yippee, I'm off to Alabama this weekend to dive in a quarry.

Keep wet.

PS: I've always wanted to ask someone from Scotland about the feather in the hat?

http://www.clan.maclennan.com/

Is it a part of traditional clan dress?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom