Best canister light for signalling in poor vis ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laser Excited Phosphor. New technology being tested in automotive headlights and other applications. It will likely be the next gen for dive lights
So it will hit diving in about 10-15 years? :rofl3:

Tech in diving always seems way behind the rest of the world

So it will hit diving in about 10-15 years? :rofl3:

Tech in diving always seems way behind the rest of the world
reliability is key in our world, especially with canister lights for cave diving where a failure is not well tolerated. They have to be stable before they can be introduced into that world commercially.

The Dive Rite EX35 works well in low viz.

reliability is key in our world, especially with canister lights for cave diving where a failure is not well tolerated. They have to be stable before they can be introduced into that world commercially.
If I want unreliable lights I'll buy some cheapo Chinese rubbish from eBay (personal experience talking).

When I'm diving I want them to work reliably; cost isn't really an issue. So, two torches; one LED, one some other new technology.... Should I care about what the underlying technology is if the effect is the same: bright reliable light? Should I rush out to spend $$$$$ on something that does the same as the one I'm using?

Should I rush out to spend $$$$$ on something that does the same as the one I'm using?

Boy. That hits a little close to home. Now I have to go count my regulators.

If I want unreliable lights I'll buy some cheapo Chinese rubbish from eBay (personal experience talking).

When I'm diving I want them to work reliably; cost isn't really an issue. So, two torches; one LED, one some other new technology.... Should I care about what the underlying technology is if the effect is the same: bright reliable light? Should I rush out to spend $$$$$ on something that does the same as the one I'm using?
That being said, the other domain for extremely demanding lighting technology is the tactical arena. Having a weapon mounted light fail poses a greater and more immediate risk than having a dive light fail. The tactical area has traditionally been way out of ahead of diving in lighting technology.

For instance the fact the halycon scouts are still rocking C batteries and ~200lm emitters is sort of crazy. Sure they're crazy reliable, but they could be so much more.

does anyone make a LEP dive light?
What little I have seen of them is incredible, uncontrolled light. Great light quantity and quality, but they can't make a good beam pattern yet, no control.

But I hear they are working on a really powerful light, maybe too powerful

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom