Best BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOW!! Lemme say that I did not expect this question to bring 3 pages worth of QUALITY information!

Ok before I get to the BP/W verdict let me say this - I plan to do deep dive wreck penetrations to check out the wrecks of SoFla and the Keys.

I have heard about Halcyon, Oxycheq is new to me and so is DSS but so far the big H seems to be the winner in terms of quality. I have to say what got me to the verdict of "da H" was the amount of recommendations for it, made in the usa (big plus!), AND made in FL what more could I ask for.

I've been looking at the Halcyon Eclipse system and I am dead set on getting that baby but will hold steadfast for black friday/cyber monday to save some $$$$$$$$. I know scuba diving is more expensive overall than an H rig but might as well same something for more diving.

I think there's an eclipse system right now in classifieds....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I prefer Oxycheq. Second choice would be Deep Sea Supply.

Not sure I've ever seen H stuff go on-sale short of an LDS holding a going out of business sale.

.... will hold steadfast for black friday/cyber monday to save some $$$$$$$$.

I agree with Lecter. Outside of dive shops closing, I have never seen Halcyon stuff goes on sale publically. You can consider buying blem or used to save money.

Not sure I've ever seen H stuff go on-sale short of an LDS holding a going out of business sale.

I agree with Lecter. Outside of dive shops closing, I have never seen Halcyon stuff goes on sale publically. You can consider buying blem or used to save money.

You will occasionally see an authorized deal wherein weight pockets or something else are included at no charge. This can effectively be considered a "discount" assuming that you would have purchased the included items as well.

I wouldn't be surprised to see such a deal around the Christmas holidays.

agreed, you won't see them go on sale, probably ever. Though I do know of a crazy auction where they will have a few rigs at 50% off because the shop went bankrupt, but that is in NC. That link I sent you in the classifieds is probably as good of a deal as you're going to get for the Blue H, you have to buy them used to save any real money.

The Dive Rite XT wings are probably a bit more durable now that they have the superfabric covering, but if made in FL is important, than I would go with the Blue H.

A couple of things I've observed over the past few years since diving bp/w:

Your enjoyment will go up considerably compared to diving a jacket BC. You never hear of anyone going from BP/W to jacket style

I just put together a continuous webbing harness for our warm water vacation at the end of the week. I haven't had a chance to dive it, but if you're going to be standing up for very long wearing a bp/w with tank and weights, or walking across sand for a beach dive, so far it's not as comfortable as more recreational oriented harness like the DiveRite Transplate. Webbing is cheap, and you reuse the slides and D-rings if you reconfigure things

Stainless steel doesn't rust in a backplate (it shouldn't if it's a decent backplate). Aluminum should be anodized and gets whatever corrosion aluminum gets if it gets scratched. DiveRite has a very trick looking thin stainless backplate with lots of cut outs that make it about the same weight as an aluminum plate. I can hardly wait to get it wet in less than a week

All the manufacturers have different shapes and bends to their backplate. Try several brands to see what feels good to you. I've heard flatter is better for single tank diving and more bend is better for doubles as far as comfort. I have no intention of diving doubles. Deep Sea Supply's plates are very flat and I don't find them particularly comfortable. DiveRite and Highland have a little more bend and are comfortable to me (and my wife). I've heard the ones with the lower corners bent slightly away from your back are more comfortable, like Hollis and other, but haven't tried any.

Donut shaped wings let the air move all around, horseshoe shaped wings don't. Get a wing where the bladder zips out so you can patch it or replace it if it gets a hole. Having a great repair or replacement policy is nice, but doesn't do anything to help if you have some kind of leak or tear on a dive vacation in the middle of nowhere

Some people like padding between their back and the backplate. The padding generally has to match the manufacturer of the plate

Some setups need a single tank adapter, others don't. With no single tank adapter you can get the tank closer to your back. If you crank your head way up to look at something, make sure your head won't hit your tank valve

Really short tanks (HP 80 or Al 63) are usually shorter than the bottom of your wing. If you're going to be diving a really short tank, don't go for a really tall, narrow bladder or you'll have to be careful about pinching the bottom of your wing with the tank

Don't buy too big a wing "just in case". Get one with just enough lift for the type of diving you'll be doing when you get a bp/w

You will be amazed at how much weight you'll be able to drop compared to a regular BC

If you're just doing recreational diving, there's nothing wrong with having a comfortable harness, putting quick release weight pockets on the waist webbing, or even adding something like an Air-2. I've done all. You're the one who has to dive with it and enjoy it, not impress anyone

Everyone has a favorite, just like car brands and colas. If you don't like what you get, you shouldn't have any problem selling it. My favorite is DiveRite, based on price, quality, durability, functionality and how well thought out their gear is

The best brand is the one that works best for you and you enjoy. Try a few to see what the differences are

I had a similar post to this one not too long ago as I tried to decide on which BP/W to go for. Halcyon was, as is here, highly recommended. However, when I considered cost vs quality, I figured Halcyon was too much for little, if any improvement in quality over DSS or Dive Rite. I opted for DSS thanks to the customer support provided by Tobin (owner of DSS) - he is excellent and will help you with any queries you have about your rig. Dive Rite also seems to be very good and certainly have a much better website but for a beginner in the BP/W world, I valued the service I got from Tobin over a vast range of gear. I chose to go this path for simplicity after all! Although I understand the Oxycheq wings to be some of the best at the moment, I have heard too many bad reviews of their customer service to consider them; hollis appear to have one or two quality control issues but in general an acceptable rig.
If this is your first BP/W, as mine was, I highly recommend going down the route of one supplier for all to make it easier. I believe you'll be fine with either Halcyon, DSS or Dive Rite but is a blue H really worth $200 extra dollars??? (my DSS rig was $460 all in - SS BP, Torus26 Wing, Harness, Cam Bands etc. I've not seen a comparable Halcyon rig for under $700!!!)
IMHO the DSS quality is excellent but I can't imagine you being disappointed with any of these options.

About a month ago I purchased a BP/W from from Northeast Scuba Supply (excellent customer service).
*HOG SS backplate
*STA
*Oxycheq 30# wing
*Hogarthian style harness

I have used it on 10 dives and made a couple modifications.
1) I ditched the STA. With two bands the tank stays rock solid against the plate and wing. No movement at all.
2) I attached the wing to the backplate with a two sex bolts. Less flopping around.
3) Last night I switched from the hogarthian harness to a Dive Rite Deluxe harness. Seems easier to put on/take off but haven't been in the water with it yet.

No major complaints, but if I had it to do all over again I would have bought the entire rig from one manufacturer, either Deep Sea Supply or Dive Rite, because I just feel like everything would have fit together better rather than trying to save $40 or $50 buy buying individual components. Hell, I still might just sell the whole kit and do that very thing.

Back
Top Bottom